Portrait on the Wall

Start from the beginning

"My...apologies," Blade held back a breath after the immediate realization from his previous action. From there, his focus removed itself from you right after. "It was nothing, mistress. You may proceed to do what you want for today."

It was particularly Blade's sudden hesitancy that had provided you with a sense of oddness in his behaviour. Perhaps, it was to wait on your next words for what is to come next. After all, you began to wonder of the destination that he would take you today due to his offer.

--------------------------------------------------

The hallways of the mansion were a lot more calmer than usual. Perhaps the news of you personally having a visitor sparked some conversations between each other. However, the whispering curiosities were quickly stifled after a lack of follow-up news on the matter. Though your ears did pick up a few mentions of your sudden engagement, there was nothing positive or negative that came out of their mouths.

With their backs turned against you, others have only remained focused on their tasks for the day: from sweeping off the dust with the dust sweepers, to others mopping the floor, leaving not a single speck of dirt in sight.

"Mistress," Blade called out as he followed from behind.

It had caught your attention as you turned your head to face him.

"What is the matter?" Your voice spoke, the servants surrounding the both of you continued to mind their own tasks given.

"I suggest that we should head to our destination early on before sunset arrives."

"Are you suggesting that we should head there immediately? There is still a lot of time to spare after all." Your eyes went into his. However, you could not help but have your attention drawn around his dark circles. He was tired and you knew he was pushing himself in order to do his job. Despite knowing that his training to become a knight, let alone participating in the war, was harsh itself, you wanted him to allow himself to recover properly. Not to mention, you still did not have any further knowledge on his wounds a few days ago.

Blade only provided you with a nod as a response; it was only for an immediate moment before your attention had caught on to the sound of the servants' footsteps, seemingly carrying a large heavy object in their arms.

"Apologies, mistress," said one servant, displaying a tensed expression with their hands grasping the bottom of the large frame. "However, would you mind stepping aside for a moment?"

"Oh, my apologies." Your body politely stepped to the side, clearing the pathway as Blade followed in tune. The both of you only observed the servants. "So what is that you two are holding at the moment?"

The servants did not provide you a reply; instead, they proceeded to carry on their task, lifting the frame into the wall but letting out small grunts due to its heaviness.

"Just a moment, mistress." said the other one, gripping the other end.

The frame was then gradually lifted higher with the upper part tilting away from the wall. With such a tall frame, the servants shrieked in panic only for Blade to step in, placing a hand in the centre and the other on the bottom to steadily put in place on the wall. The servants had sighed in relief before stepping aside, allowing you to view the portrait. It had finally revealed itself to be a painted portrait, seemingly taken out of the storage after collecting dust.

"Mistress," one spoke out, walking towards you with a bow out of duty. "It has come to the head maid's attention that it would be suitable to take out your portrait of when you were younger."