chapter one

CINNAMON GIRL !
⚡ chapter one
—   𝓹 𝓮 𝓽 𝓮 𝓻      𝓳 𝓸 𝓱 𝓷 𝓼 𝓸 𝓷

CINNAMON GIRL !⚡ chapter one—   𝓹 𝓮 𝓽 𝓮 𝓻      𝓳 𝓸 𝓱 𝓷 𝓼 𝓸 𝓷

"It was my first lesson. Beneath the smooth, familiar face of
things is another that waits to tear the world in two."
—   Madeline Miller

◦•●◉✿ ✿◉●•◦

EVERYONE HAS SPECULATIONS ABOUT SOMETHING, right? Every demigod at Camp Half-Blood had their speculations about Aesira Lacroix and her cousin, Rhysand Belmore.

To the human world, where the mist never "existed", the cousins were perfectly ordinary. They didn't stand out or attract attention. They were just that. Normal. If only that were the case.

They were far from the average normal teenagers. Delivers are already a mythical concept in itself— the prospect of the most powerful gods having children with human mortals was considered a mere fantasy. But that is what Aesira and Rhysand were. Demigods.

Aesira was born from the goddess of blessed death and daughter of the infamous Hades and Persephone, Makaria. Rhysand was born only two years before Aesira to the god of rebirth, Zegreus, son of Hades and Persephone. The demigod was considered lucky, as his father had claimed him before his imminent demise. Rhysand had to learn to come to terms with the fact his father was reborn into Mr. D, the camp director, or in other words, Dionysus.

Being the demigod grandchildren of Hades made them living pariahs, as if they were zoo exhibits. By extension, Aesira and Rhysand were forbidden children. Even as grandchildren of Hades, they were still targeted, as if their blood status was written on their foreheads. The gods of Olympus have taken their own respective shots at the demigods, ultimately failing in their attempts— as they were still alive.

But now, there was a new face in Camp Half-Blood. A little scrawny dirty blond kid who supposedly killed the Minotaur with his bare hands. Aesira and Rhysand were no longer the current spectacle of camp.

◦•●◉✿ ✿◉●•◦

PETER JOHNSON— WELL, PERCY JACKSON STOOD beside Chiron in the doorway of the Hermes cabin. Aesira had been curled up in a hammock reading a Greek book above where Rhysand had been playing a makeshift game of marbles with Luke and Chris when Chiron's booming voice sounded.

"Everyone. Everyone. Everyone...your attention, please." Chiron clapped, causing Aesira to promptly close her book to look over at the boy who stood beside the Centaur. The kids inhabiting the cabin paused their activities to curiously peer at the boy who clearly didn't like the attention. "This is Percy Jackson. I trust you will see to whatever he needs."

So this is the Percy Jackson, Aesira thought to herself as Luke reached out his arm to help her out of the hammock. Rhysand tugged at Aesira's elbow as the boy approached his sleeping bag that stuck out like a sore thumb in a room full of lived-in bunk beds. The antic had become a mannerism for the Belmore boy. It wasn't in a protective way, more like a nervous tick. They hadn't known what Percy's arrival meant for them yet.

"That's the kid." Chris whispered. "I think he's the one who killed the Minotaur."

Aesira chewed at the inside of her cheek as she watched Luke step towards Percy. "Look, if you wanna give me a hard time, just do it tomorrow." Percy spoke, obviously physically and emotionally exhausted. "I cant do anymore today." Aesira's eyes softened with empathy for the boy.

"Heard what happened to you on the hill, and we just..." Luke began, his tone sympathetic. "We wanted to say we're really sorry." He gestured to Aesira and Rhysand who stood a couple of feet behind him. Aesira watched as Percy's blue irises scanned over her form quickly, almost hesitant, as if one wrong move would set someone off.

The warm smile Aesira offered tugged at Percy's heartstrings. His mother had a very similar smile— one that would remind him of the salty air at the rental cabin, the blue candies she would take home from the shop. "We know what you're going through," she spoke softly. Her words strangely comforted Percy. He felt safe. "I'm Aesira. This is my cousin, Rhysand, and this is Luke— counselor of the Hermes cabin." The demigod introduced.

"Percy." He responded, shaking Aesira's hand lightly. A deal with the devil.

◦•●◉✿ ✿◉●•◦

| hayley speaks ! |
is this chapter short? yes, but the next chapters will
be longer, i promise!! i'm just waiting for more of the
series to come out before i really get into writing more
for this fic. hope you enjoyed <3