fluttering

Mei's brain was on fire.
She blinked against the sudden stream of sunlight splaying across her face, a groan falling out of her mouth when she tried to get up only to feel as though her head had been pounded with a million hammers. Jesus.

If she hadn't been hungover then, she was definitely hungover now.

She was so focused on the pain that she hadn't realized there was a figure at the end of her bed until he started moving.

Mei yelped, scurrying back against the covers as her eyes widened in shock, "what the—"

And that was when she realized; she wasn't in her room.

This wasn't the Slytherin dormitory. This was definitely not her bed.

Horror seeped through her as she watched, gaping, a sleepy Theseus raise his head and rub at his face.

"Morning," his voice was raspy, still thick with sleep and it made her stomach jumble, "someone finally decided to get up."

"Wha—How—Why—" the words just wouldn't make it through Mei's mouth, all falling to bits of confusion as she kept looking at him like he'd grown another set of eyes.

"Don't look at me like that," Theseus said when he noticed her expression, "may I remind you, you were the one who was drunk. I was merely trying to help."

"Theseus, I swear if you'd touched me—"

"Don't be ridiculous Mei," he cut her off sharply, "who do you take me for?"

Right. Of course he wouldn't do that. It's almost absurd.

Mei leaned back, flushed in the face as a hand went to her hair, "sorry," she said sheepishly, "I...I didn't do anything weird, did I?"

"Apart from the fact that you danced on the bar table and confessed your undying love for me, no. I don't think you did."

"I did what?" Her mouth dropped open. Her heart froze.

Theseus just looked at her, and when Mei's face started draining of all its colour, he burst out laughing, "I'm joking Mei, relax."

"Jesus christ Theseus! What is wrong with you, why would you even say that?" Mei wanted to smack the smug look off his face.

He couldn't stop laughing, doubling over and holding his stomach like it was the funniest joke of the century, "I'm sorry, I just had to. Your face—"

"Shut up!" She threw his pillow at him, "honestly!"

"I'm sorry, I apologize," Theseus tried to calm down his chuckles, though he was still grinning from ear to ear as he reached up fix her hair, "you might want to start planning your escape unless you want to get suspended."

Mei's face paled, "oh, I didn't think of that."

His grin widened, "I have an idea, if you'll let me."

———

Thankfully, no one was around when Theseus hid the Slytherin girl underneath is cloak as he walked out of the dorms, bribing the portrait beside the staircase so that she wouldn't spill on their little secret. But it turned out that nobody was awake on an early Saturday morning right before midterms, probably still recovering from last night.

The rest of the week went by in a blur and Mei, deciding that she was going to just shove her feelings up her butt and not think about a particular Hufflepuff prefect, focused instead on her upcoming mid-terms. She'd sent out a letter at the beginning of the week to her mother, telling her all about how she'd started feeling settled and had made new friends along the way, and how she was excited about coming back home for the holidays.