Soon, one of those guards signaled with his hand and they scattered in all directions.

These ambushers were ruthless and their methods were sinister. Based on their method of attack, they were clearing trying to wipe everyone out. In a group battle, Shen Yi Yao's guards were naturally no match. However, if they fought individually, especially with the goal of escaping, they weren't able to stop them.

In the blink of an eye, those who were still able to run had escaped, leaving behind a field of corpses.
The masked men started clearing the scene. They took away the bodies of their group while two of them went to check on the situation in the carriage. One of them went towards Shen Yi Yao's carriage. It was already full of damage, with arrows sticking out of it like a large hedgehog.

The doors of the carriage had remained obstinately in place, though it looked a little wretched with a couple of holes. He pulled the door open and saw two women inside. They had arrows sticking out of them and lay in a pool of blood. After looking at their appearances, the man in black slammed the door shut with a bang.

"The boss was right. They weren't trying to lure us away."

Actually, these people had suspected they were trying to lure the tiger from the mountain at first. However, the boss knew that their target had a woman skilled in martial arts beside her. When Lady Hui appeared and then fled, the large group of people were hesitating whether or not to pursue. They thus left behind a small group to avoid being tricked.

This was also why those guards had been able to escape. They weren't the targets. These people were after Shen Yi Yao who was taken away by Lady Hui. They had seen a portrait of her before and neither of these women in the carriage were her.

"Retreat!"

The boss gave the order and the group vanished into the forest.

After a long, long time, Xue-shi who was lying in the pool of blood suddenly opened her eyes. She gritted her teeth and sat up, nudging Cui Qiao with her hand.

Cui Qiao climbed up and said with a trembling voice: "Eldest madam, your idea was truly effective."
Heavens knew how scared she had been just then. She was terrified her act would be discovered. She could only keep the eldest madam's words in mind as she pretended she was already dead.

Xue-shi smiled bitterly: "It was just a desperate gamble."

Xue-shi had started racking her brains when she heard Lady Hui's parting words. She knew Lady Hui was leaving them a lifeline, but this lifeline needed to be seized.

Seeing the enemy split up and their guards escaping in all directions, Xue-shi had a flash of inspiration and picked up two arrows from the carriage. She cushioned some silk inside her clothes and stabbed the arrow inside, making it seem like she had gotten shot. To make it more realistic, she and Cui Qiao had both used the arrowhead to cut their arms, wiping a lot of blood in the area and then sprinkling it around them.

The two of them felt dizzy. A small amount of blood wouldn't have been useful. In order to make it convincing, they had gone all out. The wounds of their wrists couldn't be stemmed by handkerchiefs.
Cui Qiao was unable to stand up either due to fear or loss of blood.

Seeing Xue-shi in the same predicament, she couldn't help but laugh bitterly: 'Eldest madam. Don't tell me we've escaped these villains' blades only to bleed out?"

Xue-shi repeatedly said "Pei". At this moment, she appeared bedraggled and her hair was a mess. She looked extremely wretched. The usually neat person now appeared listless, her lips pale.

"That shouldn't be the case. Sis-in-law's guards should still return."

These words were actually just Xue-shi comforting herself. Those guards were for Shen Yi Yao's protection. Now that she had been taken away by Lady Hui with her survival uncertain, how could they come back to look for them?