make you mine this season [K.Bishop]

Începe de la început

"Did the incoming snowstorm happen to slip your mind?"

"No, I just thought you'd want to go anyway," she replies with a small shrug.

"I'd rather not crash, Lila will never let me hear the end of it."

Your words make her tilt her head to the side, the slightest hint of a pout on her face. "So...what, you're just going to spend Christmas alone?"

"Yup. Kate, I'm not a kid anymore, nothing will happen if I spend one day by myself."

"But it's Christmas!" She exclaims, looking borderline offended that you're so comfortable spending the holiday alone.

"Is that why you're breaking into my apartment?" You ask in a foolish attempt to stop yourself from asking her to spend the day with you.

Just because she thought about you long enough to come drop off her, no doubt ridiculously expensive, gifts for you does not mean she wants to spend the holiday with you when she could easily spend it with anyone else.

The pink hue that overtakes her cheeks is a better gift than anything that could be inside the bags in her hand. "Well, uh...maybe..."

She finally gathers enough courage to get rid of the distance between you with a bright, albeit nervous, smile on her face. You half-expect her to launch into some long ramble about why she just couldn't stop herself from buying an insane amount of gifts for you this year but she doesn't.

For once in her life, Kate Bishop makes things easy for herself.

"I didn't think I was going to make it to the farm on time so I was just going to drop these off for you..." She holds out the bag for you and you do your best to calm the rapid beating of your heart as you take it.

"Can I open it right now or will you get embarrassed?"

"Both," she replies through a chuckle. "I would leave but I don't want you to be lonely."

"Right, because I'm the one who gets lonely."

"Shut up."

It's both a blessing and a curse to have broken through the archer's defenses and right now, her cute reactions are beginning to feel like a curse. Although, that might just be your unrequited feelings talking.

A slightly awkward silence settles over both of you while you rifle through the overwhelming amount of purple tissue paper until you find your gift. You're expecting another expensive necklace, maybe a bracelet this time, but what you're met with is the most thoughtful gift you've ever received...and probably the most thoughtful gift Kate has ever given.

What you end up pulling out of the bag is a leather journal with a beautiful engraving of yours and Kate's initials. "Kate...is this-"

"Yeah, I, um...I couldn't find a photo album that I liked so I sort of...made my own."

You can't stop yourself from flipping through the first couple of pages, caught somewhere between the euphoria of being given something so beautiful and the disappointment that comes with knowing it all only serves to fuel your love for the archer.

Love you can't express the way you want to.

Love that's hidden between the pages of the journal you hold in your hands.

You don't notice and Kate isn't really in a hurry to watch you read the series of rambles that make up her overdue confession so she lets the moment fade like she always has. It's not like you can blame her for wanting to move on to something else, her lack of focus isn't necessarily a secret, and you let yourself get carried away by her jokes and her stubborn need to make mac and cheese for you.

The archer manages to cook without setting your kitchen on fire and the two of you settle on your couch to watch the first cheesy Christmas movie you find. In all honesty...the movie is awful but the corny jokes make Kate laugh so you can't find it in yourself to be too grumpy about the shitty writing.

Until the scene in front of you reminds you of the archer and her ex. You're unable to hold back the jealousy-tinted snarkiness said reminder brings out of you. "I think Yelena watched this movie and then decided to be a dick just like the main character."

Kate instantly turns toward you, staring at you with wide eyes that barely hide her amusement. "What?"

"What?" You feign confusion to avoid having to repeat yourself.

"You know what," she replies with an eyeroll. "If I'm the one who got broken up with, why are you the one that's still upset?"

"Because- wait, why are you not upset?"

Your uno-reverse of a response leaves Kate speechless for a few seconds and you prepare yourself for the series of jokes that will no doubt leave her mouth next.

But Kate's never been predictable.

"Because...she didn't break my heart. She didn't even own it in the first place."

Her words spark the low flames of hope hidden in the depths of your heart. It feels impossible and if you were a believer, you might even say Santa's on your side, helping to give you the one thing you've wished for more nights than you can count.

And yet you hesitate.

"What are you trying to say?" You ask, your voice so soft it borders on cautious.

"That I'm an idiot," she replies with that same bright smile that made you fall for her so long ago. "And...I'd really like to kiss you."

The world seems to slow down to a complete stop at that moment.

You almost don't even know what to do with yourself. Thankfully, you manage to kick yourself into action before the moment passes.

Kate's awkwardness seems to disappear into thin air as she leans in toward you, meeting you halfway for the softest, sweetest, kiss you've ever had. And maybe nothing about it is perfect but it's you and her and that's all that matters for now.