remind me i'm alive [H.Steinfeld]

summary: your day off takes a sudden turn when your best friend's sister decides to finally make a move after silently pining after you for far too long.

warnings: none; half an inch of plot; idiots in love; hailee being a flustered mess while R struggles to read between the lines; griffin being tired of watching the mess; R has a corvette because i love subtle references

wordcount: 2k

a/n: full disclosure, i wrote this request with bumblebee era hailee in mind so do with that information what you will. it's not super noticeable but just thought you should know. also, i know even less about cars than i do about sports so...an attempt was made and i'll leave it at that. i was originally going to make this angsty and full of plot but i decided against it and just wrote a bunch of fluff. hope you like it!

* * * * * * *

Today was supposed to be a normal day off.

You weren't needed on set until next week which meant you had more than enough time to hang out with your best friend and mess around with your endless works in progress.

The chosen project of the day was letting Griffin do a simple tune-up on your precious 1970 Corvette.

You're more than capable of doing it on your own but you're pretty sure he's in love with your car and you're not about to deny him the opportunity to be the one he loves.

And there's also the fact that his sister said she was coming over today. Which makes your behavior today a lot less normal than usual.

You hate to admit it but almost every time you come over to Griffin's house you end up sitting around and hoping Hailee will decide to show up. You know it's weird and borderline creepy but despite all the time you spend with her brother, it's practically impossible for you to spend time with her.

There's always something that gets in the way. Usually, it's your schedules, sometimes it's your inability to talk to her like a normal person due to your badly hidden feelings for her, and every once in a while, it's Hailee herself.

There was a time when you thought she hated you since she always seemed to find a way to avoid being around you. Griffin swears it was because you made her too flustered to be able to hang out alone with you. You think he's insane but he swears it's true. And maybe it is true, it's hard to tell though considering how adorably awkward the brunette can be sometimes, regardless of who she's with.

It's one of the things you find most endearing about her. Not that you'd ever admit that out loud.

"So, what do you think?"

You turn to look at Griffin, your eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Think about what?"

He chuckles. "You didn't hear a single word I said did you?"

"Sorry, I guess I got lost in my thoughts."

There's a subtle smirk on his face that tells you he knows exactly what's got you so distracted. You've never admitted your feelings for his sister to him but he's not blind and he knows you well enough to recognize the signs. "You need a break. And I know the perfect person to keep you company."

"Oh, shut up," you say with an eye roll.

"Hey, you're the one who can't focus. Just do us both a favor and go talk to Hailee. I need some time away from you."

You glare at him while he laughs at the look on your face. You give him a well-earned punch to the arm before walking away. "Asshole."

"Right back at you, y/n!"