Chapter 12 - Officially Official?

Start from the beginning

"Excellent to hear, proud of you girls! Can't wait to see your work." He dismisses himself before jogging away and waving at us. Uche looks back at me and sighs.

"One day I'm going to get that man, subconsciously with my mind though. We both know I never make the first move." She deadpans as I throw my head back laughing. Uche has had a crush on Damon Sharpe since second year, that's when he was announced as our old programme leader had left - she said it was to find herself but another guy mysteriously dropped out roughly at the same time.

"So what's going on with you today?" She changes the subject.

"Girl you know how it goes, I have work in a couple hours since it's a night shift. Nothing special." I say as I sense my voice start to betray me towards the end. She nodded understanding what I'm saying.

"Anything interesting going on at work? Or is it just like how you always describe it to me?" Uche asks wrapping her arms around her chest. My eyes started to flutter a little and I felt my cheeks getting a little warm when I thought of my weekend but ultimately I think the wisest thing would be to not tell her about that.

"No nothing at all, boring as always." I nervously laugh and she follows me along with that but her eyebrows knot a little. She looks around before looking back down at her watch and then cussing; she probably had a session booked and needed to head off.

"I have to go but I'll see you sometime again this week sis, have a good shift today!" She cheerfully smiles at me as she speed walks away.

I had walked to the university library, my favourite place. Getting situated and finishing off what was left to do for my dissertation, my split-screen computer display crammed with tabs and jumbled references as well as annoyingly specific searches. When I felt like I rounded off my conclusion well enough I decided to book a session with my personal tutor before submitting, with the email request sent I lean back in the squeaky old chairs and stretch looking around to partially full library.

I peered over at the clock and realised it was time to start my evening shift. I pack up everything and make my way to the restaurant, making a mental note to check up on Tom and tell him everything during our break.

As I walked through the restaurant and to the staff lockers and changed into my uniform, butterflies in my stomach started to erupt at the thought of seeing Oliver after my shift. There was a slight nausea at the idea of being completely rejected but I had an inkling to just wait at see. As I shut my door I notice a new face preparing for work, she had a big blonde 4c Afro with blonde dyed eyebrows, piercings and smooth dark, brown skin. She was beautiful, but looked extremely nervous, so I go over to her to introduce myself.

"Hello I'm Aurora, you new?" I say, slapping myself mentally because honestly what kind of blunt introduction was that for someone nervous enough as is.

"H-hi um is it that obvious I'm new? I'm Amara by the way," she nervously chuckled and gave me a little wave. I smiled - I like her vibe. She had such an ethereal beauty to her, it was hard to look away from her face.

"I was just as nervous as you were when I started, don't worry you'll be great. Usually they assign new workers to someone, who were you assigned to?" I ask, tilting my head to the side.

"The manager told me her name was Samantha." She said, looking in her lap.

Oh god help her!

I waved goodbye to her when I heard the manager barking orders, she pointed at each table she wanted me to serve and tutted as she walked away. I huffed then put on a bright smile and begun serving, it wasn't as chaotic in here as I thought it would be considering having the evening shift.