Chapter 1: Next Right Thing

Chapter 1: (16 years later)

The sun shines on a dew-covered flower. A furry hand picks it holding it to her nose. A young hedgehog sighs as the sweet scent fills her nose. She quickly puts it into a basket grabbing a few more like it. The morning sun shined on her royal blue quills, some green ones also glinting. Putting the basket down she lays in the soft grass. She always loved being outside. Her green eye gazed at the fluffy white clouds. Her name was Emerald. She didn't get to go outside much, well she wasn't allowed to. Her adoptive mother had always been frightened of having her in the outside world. But ever since she had grown old. The small hedgehog had found a few small moments to go into the woods near her home while her mother was sleeping. The home had been quiet ever since her adoptive father Tom had died. He had lived a good life and had been her only friend besides her mother. Taking in a deep breath Emerald sat up. Knowing that her mother would wake up any moment now. She quickly stuck to the shadows and followed the secret path back home. As she came to the well-worn house, she climbed up a makeshift rope ladder and into the small attic window. Quietly she picked up the rope ladder and stuffed it under her bed. Well, it was more of a nest of blankets and pillows, but it still counted. Creeping down the stairs she walked into the living room setting her basket of flowers on the table replacing the dead ones in the small vase. The house was quiet, but something felt wrong. Emerald turned her ears. The house was too quiet. Her mother would have called for her by now. Her eyes grew wide. "Oh no," she whispered. She ran upstairs to her mother's room and opened the door. Her mother lay there pale. "Mother? Mother!" she said coming to the old woman's side. The woman's eyes glanced at the small hedgehog. "Hello my darling," she said her words barely a breath. The hedgehog went to her nightstand looking at the rows of pills that littered it. "What's going on which pill do you need?" she said starting to panic. A soft hand held onto her shoulder. Emerald looked at her mother. The woman shook her head. The hedgehog started to tear up holding onto the woman's hand and coming closer to her. "No, no, not now. We can get through this just like the other times," she said hopefully, but she already knew this wasn't like the other times. The woman smiled at her weakly stroking the young girl's quills. She looked at her closet. "Could you get me my box, please?" Emerald quickly ran to the closet getting a dusty box from a low shelf. She put it on her mother's lap helping her up so she could sit comfortably. The woman looked at the box smiling as she opened it. Inside were a few quills, some blankets, photos, and an emerald necklace. The woman held up the necklace giving it to the young hedgehog. "You must find your kind, find your home." the hedgehog looked at the necklace. "But I've never been outside," she said shakily. The woman huffed a weak laugh. "I know what you do when you think I'm resting, Emerald." she smiled. "I was your protector and now you must go and find your true home." Tears slid down the Emerald's face. Her mother started closing her eyes. She whispered something. Emerald held her ear closer to her. "Go, please." Emerald looked at her. "No, Not now. I can't," she said holding back tears. Her mother held onto her hand tighter, "You must! The world saved you and gave you to me to protect. You are Emerald Wachowski daughter of Maddie and Tom.." she said putting the necklace on the young hedgehog. The hedgehog looked at the necklace and then back at the woman. "But I... I can't leave you," The old woman smiled. "There is nowhere you can go... that I won't be with you," she said hugging the crying hedgehog, and with that, she laid back in her bed sighing one last word. "GO." And with that, she peacefully breathed her last breath. The young girl finally broke. Wet salty tears slid down her cheeks and she sobbed into her adoptive mother's hand.