Chapter 40: A Much Needed Rest

Start from the beginning

We... succeeded... in rescuing her....

But if Rosemary is here... and purified of her blight... where is Callalily?

I slowly lift my head up and look around the infirmary, the others are also here... everyone who set foot on Lands End is here... resting and recovering...

I see Pastel Palettes gathered around Eve and holding her hands. Roselia is gathered around Rinko, and Lisa with Katria while Ako is in between Rinko and Tomoe who is also surrounded by Afterglow.

"Where's Callalily...?" I quietly ask as I can't find the White Priestess of the Fount and a feeling of dread builds up inside me.

Please... don't tell me... that she... that we...

"She's currently being looked after by Primeria, Kuna, and Karato in the intensive care section of the infirmary alongside Leif." I turn to see grandma walking towards me.

"Is she okay...?" I ask grandma.

"... We don't know... All energy in her body had completely withered away by the time they were able to take a look at her... They're doing everything they can to revive her." Grandma says in a lamenting tone.

"How did we get home...? What happened after I passed out...? Last thing I remember... is shielding Callalily... from the blighted fog... erupting from the Blighted Lord..." I ask grandma as that's the last thing I have memory of on Lands End.

"The Blighted Lord's form was ripped apart and unleashed immense blight upon us, seemingly in a desperate attempt to split between all of you. In response, Lady Callalily and Rosemary performed a massive purification rite to save all of you from becoming his puppets, leaving the lord fragmented between the two priestesses wielding their Aegis Curios." Fabian appears standing next to the bed.

"Though they succeeded, the pain borne by both was immense. However, Lady Callalily seemed to have been one step ahead of us the entire time... Even when things didn't go her way... as it turned... She had seeked out the depths of the Abyss in search of a relic told throughout old White Priestess folklore. A relic that could suppress the blight of one at an immense cost that would normally take the life of one by ripping all the energy out of their body to suppress the blight they have accrued... It seems that Lady Callalily bared enough strength to barely survive the ordeal of sealing away Rosemary's blight... but it clearly took its toll on her body." Fabian explains with a heavy sigh.

"The care provided by those geniuses however... truly something to marvel at." Fabian says in clear admiration for those who are caring for Lief and Callalily.

I lean back into the bed as my body still feels incredibly weak...

We barely made it...

...

...

...

First... Aph ambushed us on Lands End and we almost got overwhelmed by the blight on our first encounter with them, it could've all been over had Rosemary not found us...

Then... I died by Miriam's hands and I only lived because Serena bore the cost of that fatal strike due to the blessing of the Heart of the World Tree she gave me...

Finally... we almost became pawns of Hecate...

We... weren't ready...

We could've failed and died there...

But if we didn't come to Lands End...

...

I couldn't ignore it... I needed to save Rosemary...