01| Lost in Thoughts

"Although you may disagree with me, Chancey and I will do the examination

"Although you may disagree with me, Chancey and I will do the examination. These symptoms are ones that I have never witnessed before, and I am unsure as to whether or not they are contagious to other Pokémon or humans. I would hate for anyone else to fall sick. The rest of you continue your daily tasks and duties as if it were a normal day. I'll inform you of anything that I may find. Please be patient until I receive the results."

Unlike the cheerful or calm tone that normally laced Nurse Joy's voice, these words were coated with uncertainty and dismay. The pink-haired woman's expression was solemn as she spoke to all the nurses who worked in the Pokémon Center. Chancey was nowhere to be seen, but Cielle could assume that the Pokémon was attending to the Swoobat in an examination room.

Although Cielle didn't try to refute anything Nurse Joy stated, it didn't mean that the order didn't leave a bitter taste in her mouth. She wanted to know what was happening and what was ravaging through that Pokémon's body. What caused those strange spider web designs and etched them so deeply into its skin that it appeared nauseating to glance at? It made Cielle's stomach twist with uncertainty yet intrigue.

At one point during her break, she found four other nurses huddled together. They were tossing out different ideas as to what the disease was. Pokérus was a fan favorite. However, it was instantly shut down because the symptoms didn't match. Other suggestions were said, some being Cielle's, but like the rest, were cast aside. She wasn't offended that her ideas were rejected because she just rambled off names that could work.

Their brainstorming session was cut short because the current charge nurse yelled at them to return to their jobs. Cielle and the other nurses quickly scurried off in fear of being written up from gossiping like high schoolers.

So that brought Cielle to her current predicament.

Walking languidly down one of the many hallways in the Pokémon Center, Cielle skimmed through the various papers on her clipboard. Most of her patients had been Pokémon defeated at Burgh's hands, which was annoying. Did that man not have anything else to do but pummel Trainers in battle? Doesn't he have an art gallery to attend or something?

Cielle's somewhat glad she never bothered to challenge the Castelia City Gym. The embarrassment of defeat was something she'd rather not experience. She didn't think Aquamarine would be up for a fight anyway, now that she thought about it.

Has she ever even been in a battle with Aquamarine? Her eyebrows furrowed. She reflected on her memories of the last nine years. Her lips curled into an 'O' as a single picture sketched itself into her mind.

"So, what starter are you choosing, Ellie?"

The sound of her nickname caused ten-year-old Cielle to glance up from her book. She tilted her head, eyes narrowing in slight confusion as she stared at the boy sitting cross-legged on the other bed in the room.