* * *

Sunday, 24th December 1972.

Potter Manor

James planned on asking his parents about the blood traitor title he had received at Hogwarts, but the perfect opportunity never seemed to appear. Either both of his parents were busy or the Marauders were already doing something that needed James' full attention.

But the opportunity finally came on the day of Potter's Christmas party. Sirius, Remus and Peter were all in their rooms, showering or dressing themselves in formal attire. James finished getting ready first, he wore his elegant black suit, and was quite bored while waiting for his friends.

He came down to the kitchen in hopes to succeed in persuading Steo to give the Marauders some alcohol and to waste time, but his plan was interrupted. James expected both of his parents to be in the ballroom, they always added final touches to the decoration before the guest started to arrive. But, at the dining table, James found his dad.

Fleamont was also in his formal suit. It was quite similar to James' with one exception. Fleamont's tie laid perfectly on his chest while James' was messily hanging from his neck just like back at Hogwarts. His dad was hovering above a pile of papers, seemingly deep in thought.

"What are you doing, dad?", James asked as he sat down at the table. Fleamont quickly flicked his wand and the papers magically rearranged themselves and moved to his left into a perfect stack so that James couldn't see them, "Just work, Junior.", he said while turning to James, "What are you up to?"

James frowned at his dad's action. If it was just work, why did he hide it from James? Fleamont used to beg James to keep him company during boring paperwork, "Why are you working in the kitchen?", that was the first logical thing James could come up with. He didn't want to accuse his dad of hiding something straight away.

Fleamont squinted his eyes, like he knew James was trying to figure something out. After all, James just ignored his previous question, "I already locked my study since guests will start arriving soon. This is just some paperwork."

If it's just some paperwork, why hide it? James mirrored the squinted eyes, "Paperwork about what?". Fleamont sighed while rubbing his eyes, "Paperwork about something important.", he said simply.

Naturally, James wasn't satisfied with this answer, "Something like what? Why are you trying to hide it from me?"

It all started when James came back from Hogwarts after his first year. For the whole summer vacation James noticed more and more small things like hiding these stupid papers from him. His dad would come home late, seemingly exhausted. His mom wasn't any better either. She would go to do supposed grocery shopping and then be missing for hours.

James tried to ignore these things, but it was just getting harder and harder. Especially since he was used to knowing everything about his parents. Back then, he brushed all of these situations off. After all, it was summer, he had places to be and people to see. Or, more specifically, he spent last days of his summer vacation hanging out with Sirius, Remus and Peter so he just forgot to ask.

But now? Now these situations continued during the winter break and he was done with being kept in the dark. James wanted to know what they were hiding and something in his gut told him that it was connected with his new title.

Fleamont sighed again and sat straighter in his chair, "Listen, James.", he turned fully to his son and James could swear that he never saw his dad this serious before, "Bad things are happening in the world right now. Really bad things. Your mom and I decided to not just sit around and watch. We decided to help."