"Going to any good parties tonight?" I asked, desperate to change the subject.

"I'm planning on heading to the one at Billy Barker's. His parents are out of town. You going?"

"If that's where the good stuff is, then that's where I'll be." I needed to see if I could score something.

"Then look me up while you're there," he said. "We can chill together."

"Will do."

The house was easy enough to find, thanks in part to the massive amount of cars parked up and down the long driveway. I climbed out of my black Camaro and glanced around, noticing there didn't seem to be any neighboring residences close by. This was probably a good thing since the music was pounding so loud I was sure they would've called the cops by now. I grinned slightly at the idea of the house being surrounded and watching people scream and scatter while they tried to avoid arrest.

The gravel crunched under my boots as I made my way toward the two-story adobe, Santa Fe styled home. It seemed like the party was in full swing. The tree outside had already been toilet papered, and I could hear some poor person puking their guts out in the bushes.

I walked up the steps to the covered porch, choosing to avoid any eye contact with the couple heavily making out on the swing, and went inside.

Weaving my way through the crush of bodies that danced to the heavy bass, I moved toward where the kitchen appeared to be located. I found the giant keg I was looking for and grabbed a plastic cup off the counter.

"Fill me up!" I yelled over the loud music to the guy manning the alcohol, Johnny, if I remembered his name from school.

He grinned. "Will do!" He opened the tap until the amber liquid was close to foaming over. I nodded at him before lifting it and downing a healthy swig, draining the glass to nearly halfway.

Careful to keep from spilling, I moved through the gyrating crowd toward the open glass doors that led out to a pool area.

"Hunter!" A voice caught my attention, and I saw Russ give me a wave, motioning me over.

I turned in his direction, handing him my cup before I jumped up to sit on the short wall next to him.

"Wassup, dude?" I asked, as he handed my drink back. I sat it carefully beside me while I fished my cigarettes and lighter from my pocket. I lit up and took a long drag before blowing the smoke out the side of my mouth.

"Nothin' much. Just scoping out the girls."

"Finding anyone good?" I surveyed the ladies both in the pool and out and shook my head. I didn't think large crowds, beer, and water were probably the best mix. Plus, there was no way I'd be getting in any pool in March, unless of course it was heated. The weather this week had been quite a bit warmer though, so maybe it wasn't too bad.

"There's a couple I might try hookin' up with later." He grinned, ruffling a hand through his light-brown hair. "See anyone you like?"

I gave a slight shrug and shook my head. "Not really."

"Well, Gabrielle Martinez has been asking everyone if you're coming tonight. I think she has her eye on you."

I looked over to where the striking brunette was standing beside the pool in a skimpy turquoise bikini talking to her friends and groaned. The lights under the water were sending glowing ripples across her smooth, caramel-colored skin, highlighting her near-perfect body. She laughed at something—her smile lighting her face—and cast a glance in my direction.

"She's pretty, but not my type," I replied to Russ, reiterating my complete lack of interest in having any of these girls as a girlfriend.

"Oh, I already knew that. I just didn't have the heart to tell her that your tastes tend to run toward the nerdy, redheaded variety." He chuckled.