MIRANDA

Selene sat alone at her desk, surrounded by unfamiliar faces in her English class

Selene sat alone at her desk, surrounded by unfamiliar faces in her English class. It was the only class where her group of friends, Heather, Connie, Dustin, Brandt, and Alex, weren't there.

She tried to focus on the lesson, but her mind couldn't help but wander to the fact that she didn't have any friends in this class. 

Lost in her thoughts, Selene heard a tap on her shoulder. Turning around, she came face-to-face with a girl who reeked of weed.

The girl introduced herself as Miranda, her words flowing nonchalantly from her lips. "Hey, I'm Miranda," the girl said, introducing herself. "You're Selene, right?"

"Yeah, that's me. Nice to meet you, Miranda," Selene replied, offering a hesitant smile.

"So, I was wondering if you'd like to come over to my house for a sleepover this tonight. There's gonna be some boys, and my mom won't be home," Miranda casually suggested.

Caught off guard by the invitation, Selene hesitated. But then, Miranda told her something that made Selene's heart skip a beat.

"Oh, and by the way, Alex will be there too," Miranda added with a sly grin.

Selene couldn't hide her surprise, her eyes widening. 

Declining seemed like the safer choice. But a twinge of jealousy nagged at her. Why was Alex going to this sleepover? With a bunch of girls?

"I appreciate the invitation, Miranda. I'll think about it and let you know," Selene finally replied, trying to keep her emotions in check.

Turning back to the front of the class, Selene's thoughts wandered, overloaded with questions and doubts. Was Alex seeing someone there? I thought he liked me? 

As the class continued, Selene found it difficult to concentrate. Her eyes would occasionally dart towards Miranda, thinking about Alex being at that sleepover. 

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

After the English class ended, Selene made her way to her locker, next to where Alex's locker usually was. However, noticing that he hadn't arrived yet, she chose not to dwell on it. Instead, she focused on unlocking her locker and organizing her books for her science class.

Once that was done, she took out a small mirror that she had hung up on the door of her locker and began fixing her appearance. 

Curling her lashes, applying her red lip gloss, adjusting her shirt, and brushing her hair, Selene caught a glimpse of Alex in her locker mirror. They made eye contact, and he smiled at her. She decided to bring up Miranda's sleepover that night. 

"So... I heard you're going to Miranda's sleepover," she commented casually, watching his reaction.

Alex furrowed his brows in confusion and nodded. "Yeah, I am. Are you going too?"