CHAPTER 14 : Rain

Start from the beginning

"She-" he stopped, and once again he looked away. I felt a weird pang in my heart, I drew breath heavily, I could hear my heart racing, a thunder broke above, and the clouds seemed to be part of our conversation, reacting to each one of our chatter.

"She's has gone for penance, somewhere in the north, in the land of God, they say." He spoke out abruptly looking at me, meanwhile, my eyes could not see anything apart from him. He proceeded to tell me about his early life and childhood and, I listened to every single word he spoke.

"When I was small, we were poor. We didn't even have a meal to eat, I cried for milk every time to my mother, and she had nothing to feed me. One day when I was extremely hungry, I cried once again for some milk but she had nothing and thus she mixed water and floor fooling me, to drink it as milk." He said with a chuckle, folding his arms tightly.

Pitashrre was upset when he saw her do that. Both Pitashree and Maharaj Draupad were students under the same teacher, my grandfather, Sage Bharadwaj. Maharaj Draupad, as a friend, promised pitashree half of his kingdom. But, after school, he forgot all about this promise. When Mata encouraged Pitashree to seek help from Maharaj Drupad, he said no. He not only denied help but also insulted him. His voice was full of pride, and his eyes were burning with bitterness and vengeance. The change was stark and shocking.

His gaze had altered, charged with rage and retaliation. My hand was on his arm, dwarfed by its size, attempting to comfort him. My impulse was to hold him even closer, convey that I stand by him, always.

"What happened next-" I whispered.

"Draupad insulted my father, he called us beggars, I pledged that was the day I determined I would take vengeance, not only his kingdom but all the prestige and dignity he holds up along with him. He would mourn hard. Raja Draupad." He said his face told a distinct story, he was arrogant and frigid, just like everyone called him.

"And from that day, my mother left us. She could not see us suffering. She was said to be a human version of goodness Tara, and she was divine. Why would she even be here suffering along with us." He said breathing heavily.

"Will she come back?" I questioned, I had no idea when I had clutched his arm tightly and I laid my head upon his strong arms. Sitting beside him on the platform, forgetting about everything but him.

"I don't know, she might. But I know she's gone there to pray for us, she was a great worshipper of Lord Shiva." He said looking down at me, he did not make me feel awkward while I held his arm and laid my head upon it. Around him, I felt safe, secure and prudent.

"And I feel, everyone will leave after this Gurukul ends, including you." He said gradually glancing down at the ground, I stared at him in surprise. How did he even think about me leaving him, it was an absurd thought.

"No way, I won't," I said clasping his arm tightly.

"Ye toh waqt bataega, kaun kiske sang jeevan jee payega." He said glancing at me, with those shiny eyes I felt like what if I lost him-? For a moment I forgot how to even draw breaths, he made me rethink every moment I lived with him, for him.

And unexpectedly, as if he already knew what was going on inside my mind, or he might have read my face he changed the topic.

"Pitashree says she got me through hard meditation from Lord Shiva." He let out, I listened to him brushing his arm softly. Now I could feel how he felt about me, it seemed like we had mutual feelings for one another.

"She is the sister of Kripacharya, her name was Kripi." He let out, and suddenly my mind woke up, an instant realisation of who was Kripacharya. And a sudden terror seized me. I remembered the seven immortals I'd heard about, many of them were from this age, I thought deeply, and a weird feeling engulfed me. Something struck my brain, Something about immortals, I looked around, a weird feeling aroused. Everything seemed motionless.

"Kripacharya, I've heard this name," I said getting away from him and standing in front to recall where I heard it. I looked at me with perplexed response, he roused up from his place, fixing himself and looking at me with a pale expression. Meanwhile, I thought hard about it, I started to question my existence, why was I even here? I mashed my lips together, trying to comprehend the situation.

"What-then, how do you know mamashree ?" He questioned.

"Have you heard about immortals-" I doubted.

His puzzled look met mine, the wind quickly picked up. The roar of thunder followed, louder and faster than before. He held my hand, pulling me in, I surveyed our dark surroundings. Dark clouds began pouring rain. We dashed across the ashram, hand in hand. The crowd thinned, and soon the place was deserted. The tents of the Kauravas were all that met our arrival, no one was in sight.

We paused, just for a bit. Quiet, comfortable, eyes meeting. He offered a meaningful smile, and my heart responded. He let go of my hand to enter the tent. I was left pondering how would life be without him. This was only the beginning.

There I was, smiling as my heart raced and my head hummed. Yet, I felt safe. A wave of pure joy and peace washed over me. As the rain began to drizzle, I stepped forward. My arms opened wide against the falling droplets. Drenched, I twirled and hopped about. Finally, I can proudly declare my deep and extraordinary love for Ashwattama.

And then I remembered the anklet, he didn't give it back, he kept it with himself, just like my heart.

Please vote, comment and share.

Thank you so much for reading :)

Follow me on instagram : sopoeticc_ for face reveal of nihira and devpriya.