Chapter Two

2 | Aurora Bennett

I apologize for the Hamilton reference later in this chapter, I couldn't help myself.

I cant tell if its the lighting, but Billie actually looks attractive. The deep red shines across his features, highlighting the sharpness of his jaw, and the glint of his emerald eyes. The tattoos on his arm are faded, but with the paleness of his skin you can barely tell.

Wait - no. Why was that my first thought?

I breathe a sigh, knowing I'm desperate for any man to pull me away from Fletcher, just for one moment, to make me feel like I'm the only girl in the world, not just a fish in the sea.

I know for a fact thats what it is, right? I'm just longing for something that wont happen, right?

Billie keeps chatting with Fletcher, but he's not looking at him. Instead, his eyes are turned towards me, inspecting every detail of my face as If its the last time he'll see it. A part of me hopes it isn't. No, all of me hopes this will happen again. In some sick corner of my mind, I start counting the day's I'll see him again.

Thump. My heart beats, the pace quickening as he breathes in every part of me.

Snap out of it, Aurora. I think, pulling my eyes from Billie and shaking my head until my mind re-wires itself. Exhaling a breath, I look back up towards him, noticing his full-attention is on Fletcher. Thank god. I turn to Fletcher, looping my arm around his and for once, he doesn't pull away and lecture me about touching him In public. "Just in case." He always says, and I've never bothered asking for the meaning, I know if I do I'll be met with an eyeroll, groan or both.

I pull away from Fletcher before shuffling around Billie, my shoulder brushing against his as I walk past. I don't dare look back, because if I stare into those emerald eyes once more, I might do something I'll regret.

Through the deep red coloring I can faintly make out a figure sitting by the bar, with her braids as flowy and perfect as always, sparkly decorated clips randomly scattered around the twists, glistening as they sway. "Val" I shout over the music as I pull myself onto a stool beside her.

"Hi." I mutter breathlessly, giving her a weak wave. Valentine Wright. The perfect woman.

I'd never mutter a single bad thing about her, because a part of me looks up to her, In a way I've never looked up to anyone before. An inspiration, I suppose. Her dark skin blends perfectly with the orange corset laced around her waist, leading into the brighter skirt flowing around her thighs. I met her whilst Billie was introducing me to his band members, after Mike I was introduced to the drummer, Tre. She was stood beside him, laughing and swinging her hips from side to side in an attempt to dance to the music. I don't remember much of our encounter, but I'll never forget her smile.

"Hey!" She slides a drink my way, the liquid slides around the wide cup. "Do you even know how long I've been waiting for you?" her eyes close, and her hands move exaggeratedly. "Not long?" I ask, pulling the drink to my lips, before wincing after taking a sip. Shit, thats strong, I cough. "Yeah." She smiles and puts her hands down. "I ordered that once I heard Fletcher shoot through the door." She tilts her head back, knocking her drink down. I would call that an over-exaggeration, but seriously, we're talking about Fletcher here. The 6'3 giant who insists on wearing boots and ripping open doors everywhere he goes. She smiles, her lips slightly parting to show her white teeth, a tiny gap between the front two.

I sip my drink, ignoring the burn in my throat. "Can't believe you even came with him." Valentine mutters, resting her head on her hand to stare at me. "What?" I choke the on spicy drink -which I'm starting to believe Val spiked. I stare into her eyes, looking for a flinch of distaste. I've never known Valentine to hate anyone, even Fletcher.