I flailed my arm to try to shake the monster off.

I grabbed a small knife I bought from Erhard's shop stabbed the balloon, killing it, and leveled up to level 2.

I looked at my HP and noticed it took about 5 percent of damage.

Myne: be careful! They're not that strong but their bites will still hurt

I glanced at Myne who was standing next to a nearby tree, doing her job and coaching us.

Ryuji: *annoyed* then you should've said something like before I got bit!

Myne: I'm sorry sir Ryuji!

Naofumi: now, now. Don't get mad at Myne, Ryuji. On the plus side, I know that my high defense stat explains why I didn't feel pain

Ryuji: Lucky you

After a while of fighting Myne called me and gestured for me to get close.

Ryuji: what's up?

Myne: it seems that you are making great progress in increasing your level

Ryuji: I know, It is probably really helpful for Naofumi since we can apparently share exp

Myne: yes it is helpful. hey, here's an idea. why do you travel deep into the forest and fight stronger monsters

Ryuji: that's a good idea but are you sure? wouldn't it be dangerous?

Myne: Don't worry about it. there aren't that many dangerous monsters around since the knights have already killed off most of the more dangerous ones last week

I glanced at Naofumi and saw him struggling to fight the balloons and saw that he had managed to pop one.

Myne: Don't worry about sir Naofumi, I'll make sure he's safe with my magic

I was a bit hesitant to go to the forest but decided to trust Myne.

Ryuji: All right, I'm very close to unlocking some of the functions of my weapon anyway

I fed some of the balloon fragments to my weapon and noticed that images of blackened shadowy silhouettes appeared in my vision with a meter being filled up.

I then switched to a bow and made my way to the forest.

Once I arrived in the forest, I killed a variety of different kinds of monsters, a lot of which looked like slightly monstrous animals like boars, lizards, rabbits, porcupines, etc.

I fed my weapon the monster parts.

[Note: when I'm talking about Ryuuji's Vassel weapon it will be referred to as a "weapon" while the weapons he uses to fight will be referred to by what they are like sword, hammer, bow, etc.]

After a while, I've unlocked the new ability called "summon".

I checked it and the two things that got my attention.

The first is something called a "monster tree" which shows me the creatures I could summon along with each monster's information which I can get after I summoned a monster. 

The second is called a "monster party" which is the limit of how many monsters I can summon at a time to six.

Ryuji: (it seems like there are a lot of different silhouettes of different creatures that I could summon. I guess I should try it out)

I put my bow back in my weapon slot and stretched out my hand.

I then selected from the many outlined silhouettes which one I should summon.