"I haven't heard that before." Mina replied, looking up at her handmaid through the mirror of her vanity. That was when she realised she'd never seen such beautiful eyes. Without even noticing it at first, she began to examine Nayeon's face. The princess was memorising ever key feature, almost as though she was scared she would lose them. And maybe she was scared, even though she wouldn't admit it to herself. Maybe it would be nice to have someone stick around, she thought.

"Well it's because you're so adorable!" Nayeon blurted out, before clearing her throat awkwardly. "And I noticed the way you walk. You waddle a little."

"I used to do ballet." Mina pursed her lips together as she recalled the memories. "I stopped when the dance instructor left."

Nayeon stopped doing the princess' hair for a moment as she thought. "Isn't there one now?"

"Yes." Mina nodded. "But he isn't Hana."

"Were you really close?"

Once again, Mina nodded. "When my sister was busy, she'd look after me. I was around her a lot." The princess chuckled, but it was dry, fake, and no smile came with it. "Everyone who spends time around me ends up leaving. I might be cursed."

As she looked into the mirror, she saw Nayeon's hand reaching down to touch her shoulder, and as she waited for the flinch to come, she stayed perfectly still. "What?" She murmured, her eyes wide.

"Yes, Princess?" Nayeon asked, looking at Mina's reflection. The princess shook her head, as if to get something out of her mind.

"It's nothing. Are you finished?" Mina questioned, changing she subject swiftly.

"Yes."

"Good. Thank you." Mina stood up and walked to a cabinet filled with books. She took a golden key, unlocked it, and found what she was apparently searching for. The princess took out a book and handed it to Nayeon.

The handmaiden checked the front cover, and saw words that were familiar to practically anyone.

'Snow White'

"Can you read it for me?" Mina asked, before sitting down in a chair. "Please?"

"Of course, Princess." Nayeon nodded, sitting in the seat beside her. "Do you not like to read?"

Mina simply shook her head, her eyes squeezed shut. Honestly, the handmaiden found this quite a peculiar request. She wasn't surprised she had to read the princess a story, rather, she was surprised she had to read the princess that story. She expected something more mature, but she wasn't complaining, as it gave her a chance to relive childhood memories.

"It was the middle of winter, and the snow-flakes were falling like feathers from the sky, and a Queen sat at her window working, and her embroidery-frame was of ebony." Nayeon began, staring down at the script. The handwriting was intricate, marvellous, and it's not that she expected any less from the royal family, but it seemed almost home-made, in a way. "And as she worked, gazing at times out on the snow, she pricked her finger, and there fell from it three drops of blood on the snow."

🐧👑🐧

"For they had ready red-hot iron shoes, in which she had to dance in until she fell down dead. The End." She closed the book when she finished, letting out a breath. She hadn't remembered it being so gruesome back when she was a kid. Nayeon was usually told that she was far too queasy for her own good. The princess opened her eyes, that had been closed ever since she began the story.

"Thank you." She said, her voice barely above a whisper. Her handmaiden bowed down slightly.

"Whatever you need, Princess." She raised her head and flicked through the pages again. "Who wrote this? The handwriting is beautiful."

"Thank you." Mina repeated, and Nayeon looked up at her in confusion. "I wrote that."

"Really? That's impressive." She smiled, and if her eyes weren't fixated on the pages, she would have seen blush creeping up on Mina's cheeks.

"I wrote most of these stories I have in here." The princess gestured to her cabinet. "I needed to practice my handwriting, and I wanted to do it in a way I could at least half enjoy..."

"Why do you love tales like this so much?" Nayeon asked as she put the book back onto the shelf. Just as there were many copies of Snow White, there were also many of Cinderella. Mina seemed to be contemplating whether she wanted to answer that or not.

"I see myself in those stories."

Nayeon didn't look back at the princess. She stayed frozen, staring at the books as she listened to the girl continue.

"I know that Mother and Father don't like me. I've known that for a long time. I just hope that some day, even though it sounds silly, I'll be swept away by my true love." Mina sighed. "Someone who will actually love me, and cherish me."

The princess, for a while, failed to find a suitable explanation for why Nayeon was the only person on her mind as she said this. Mina ended up settling with the idea that it was because she was talking to her handmaiden, and it would be the only option that made sense. She refused to admit to herself that there may be another reason.