Animal Farm

That’s a comfort, at least. Mags even smiles. 

“My twin brother is a game-maker and he’s rather talkative when he’s drunk. I can tell you that the arena is a lake this year. Forest pines, ruined cabins, and a lot of water. Because of this, both of you will have an advantage as I expect you are both proficient swimmers.” It’s as if she’s reading from a script. Finnick knows she shouldn’t be revealing this, such things are top-secret. Yet she is, and he wonders why. He expects there’s some self-interest in it.

“That’s good.” Shaun says and he claps Delia hard on the shoulder. She only cries harder. The reality will hit her soon, Finnick knows, and then the numbness will set in. That’s almost worse than the fear. “Why are you… here… I mean your his- you’re his granddaughter, the president …” 

“I failed my degree and I got kicked out of university. This is my punishment.” She says candidly. Finnick takes a sugar cube from the table and dunks it into his mouth. He thinks that sounds about right. “You can say what you like here. Whatever you think, however… treasonous. Whilst on this train no one can hurt you for it, so get it all out now, whilst you can .” 

“Fuck Snow.” It’s Delia who speaks and Mags chirps happily beside her. 

Finnick has a lot he wants to say, but he’s not so easy to trust. They make eye-contact as the train whizzes through the tunnel. He thinks she looks frightened of him, yet he doesn’t know why, for he’s scared of her .