Old and New (part 1)

Start from the beginning

Alex Daniels was one of the first friends I made when I joined the CIA. She wasn't just my friend but my partner. Back at the CIA, we were known as the yin and Yang. Not just because of the way we mesh so well together, but also in reference to our skin colors. Alex is white as snow, with straight ginger hair while I'm more of a chocolate color with kinky hair.  Men used to be all over us back then. While she was focusing on the men and getting in their pants, I was always focused on the job. After I left the CIA, she and I grew apart. It's good to speak to her again.

"Yeah but I love being a mom and wife, it's one of the best parts of my life. Actually, Spencer and I are trying to have another baby."

"That's amazing. Congratulations."

"Thank you, it's just Spencer seems not too enthusiastic today."

"Do you think it could be about you two trying to have kids?"

"No, I mean Spencer was kind of unsure about it at first but he's on board now."

"Then I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. Now about this case. There is a woman who was a Russian spy, somehow she got some kind of government intel, I'm guessing someone working inside the CIA was working with her and I need your help to catch the mole and this so-called Russian spy." Alex said.

"Ok, Where do we start?" I ask. 

Before Alex could say anything, Spencer enters the house with groceries in his hand. 

"Hey darling, let me help you with those." I said as I took the groceries from his hand." 

"Hi, I'm Alex, Nya's friend." 

"Spencer."  

"It's nice to meet you, Spencer, You guys have a lovely home."  

"Well really, it's my home, Nya just lives here." 

"excuse me?" I said at Spencer's bitter response.  

"Ok, Nya can I see you outside for a second?" Alex asked. 

"Sure," I reply. 

"Ok, obviously Spencer is upset about something, I just had to bring you over here, help cool you down a bit so you don't you know strangle him." 

"Oh I'm very upset but I would never hurt Spencer, I just wish I knew what is up with him today. He never has so much attitude with me."  

"I'm sure things will blow over, just talk to him, you do have a very beautiful husband." 

"I'm sorry?" 

"Sorry, it's just your husband is very attractive." 

"Alex, I know you're trying to be nice, but don't compliment my husband like that again."

"Fine."  

"I'll start working on this case, I was thinking we could go to our friends at the CIA, and see what they know," I said.  

"I was thinking I could stay here."  

"How are you going to work on a case at my house?" I ask. 

"I've got some friends who will send me more info on the case and you guys have a whiteboard, I could write all the facts of the case down, spencer could even help me."  

Something was definitely up with Alex, this wasn't the same woman I knew when I worked at the CIA. I was really suspicious of her but she didn't know that I installed secret cameras in the house, the second she told me she was coming over here.   

" ok," I said before walking out of the door. 

I'll find out what she's really doing here.  

Spencers POV 

"You want something to drink?" I asked Alex as she put the whiteboard in the living room. 

"Do you have any liquor?" Alex asked. 

"Yes, we do. Can you handle your liquor though?"  

"Yes, I can," Alex replies. 

"Alcohol affects men and women differently. If a man and women drink the same amount of alcohol, the woman will have a higher blood alcohol level. Women produce less of the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase, which breaks down alcohol in the stomach." 

"That may be true Spencer but many factors influence how people react to alcohol. Age, genetics, and your overall health, plus you shouldn't be worried about me, you're the one who seems like a lightweight." 

"Very funny, usually when I tell people random facts, they just look at me in an odd way." 

"Yeah, I know about your super high IQ and your eidetic memory." 

"Oh really? how come?" I ask. 

"Um, Nya told me."  

"Ok," I said as I sat on the couch. 

"So, what's up with you?" Alex asks as she sits on the couch next to me. 

"What do you mean?" 

"You've been throwing mad shade at your wife but you aren't speaking to her about why you're upset about her." 

"I'm not upset at her, I just--" 

"You just, what?"  

"I just don't know how to feel about us having another baby and I shouldn't be putting my frustrations out on her but I just feel so-" 

"Stuck" Alex said finishing my sentence. 

"Exactly," I said. 

"Just talk to Nya, Spencer, I'm sure she'll understand. I know that she's very lucky to have you"  

For a second, we lock eyes and she leans in to kiss me. 

"Um, we should work on this case," I said as I got off the couch and stood next to the whiteboard. 

"Come on, Spencer, Nya isn't even here, it's just us, no one would know," Alex said as she stood beside me. 

"ok, you're probably drunk, I think you should sit down."   

"Not drunk, just lonely, just like you are right now. You've been feeling far from Nya because you two have a difference of opinion on wanting children. I can fix that loneliness if you let me." 

"Alex, I'm not cheating on my wife, with you, or with anyone. Despite our differences and our arguments or whatever problems we might have, that does not stop me from loving her." 

"Fine. Can we at least have one more drink?" Alex said as she handed me a cup of alcohol. 

"Put the glass down, Spencer." 

"Looks like Nya's back," Alex said.