𝐁𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐓𝐒.

sixteen

sixteen.

it was finally y/n's sixteenth birthday, and once again, not a single person to celebrate with. being a child of demeter was sweet, everyone was kind all around, but y/n simply couldn't find her people.

she got along with everyone, no one had anything against her. sure, older kids would pick on her from time to time, but that was an automatic agreement she signed when joining camp two years ago.

she just couldn't develop as strong of a bond with anyone. she'd sometimes fall asleep with silent tears, wondering if she was broken or missing something key. if everyone was nice, why couldn't she trust? form a relation?

the night wielded a nice breeze, wafting through y/n's locks as she sat by the strawberry fields, playing with the leaves. a slight glow emitted from her fingertips as she trailed them along the soil, a small smile on her lips.

glancing towards the amphitheater, she could see those her age dancing and singing, having the time of their lives. the younger kids had dispersed due to curfew, she noted.

they all seemed to be in glee.

snapping her eyes shut, she fought back the intrusive thoughts and inhaled a sharp breath. opening her eyes, y/n grabbed some of the soil, stacking it into three layers. grabbing a strawberry, she delicately placed it atop and pulled away to admire her makeshift cake.

"happy birthday, n/n — happy sweet sixteenth," she said loud enough just for her to hear. looking up at the glimmering stars, y/n decided to make a wish.

all i wish for is belonging. true belonging.

y/n went back to her cake, grabbing the strawberry and picking herself up from the ground. dusting herself off, she took her water bottle and gently rinsed the strawberry. placing it between her teeth and softly biting into it, she savoured the taste as she walked down towards the amphitheater and then the cabins.

she felt stupid for not wearing a proper jacket or shirt, but she did enjoy the fresh air leaving a chill to her skin. y/n was hoping her black tee would blend her into the night, especially as she neared the amphitheater. she wasn't entirely keen on interacting more at the moment — it was past twelve and she knew she couldn't match their energy.

"hey, y/n?"

the girl halted in her tracks. turning on her heel, she came face to face with none other than the loveable hermes boy lightly jogging up to her.

"hi luke," she greeted, passing him a small smile.

luke smiled back immediately. after a silent beat, he spoke again. "i just wanted to say, ha —"

"hey, luke! get over here, man, we need your backup vocals right now!" one of the hermes kids yelled, y/n couldn't tell who from their distance.

"yeah, give me a sec!" he screamed, turning back to the girl.