Once the unpacking was finally completed, three boys went downstairs and into the living room to play some Wizarding Chess. James and Peter were the first ones to play, so Sirius was left with his thoughts. His gaze lingered to the undecorated tree again.

Like always, his curiosity won and he just had to ask Mrs. Potter about it. From what he saw so far, the whole house was bursting with Christmas spirit except the main tree. He got up from the floor and went into the kitchen where he found Euphemia at the dining table. She had some book in her hands, but she placed it on the table as soon as he walked in.

"Why did you leave that tree undecorated?", Sirius asked while sitting next to her.

"Oh, I just thought it will be fun for you boys to decorate it on your own.", she said to Sirius making him widen his eyes. He has never decorated a Christmas tree in his life. Walburga never let him touch anything since the Blacks had only the most expensive and delicate ornaments on this freaking earth, "Really?", he asked while trying not to sound too hopeful.

Euphemia smiled at him and placed her hand on his shoulder, "Of course. But you need to wait for Remus. James tells me he'll come on the 22nd?"

Sirius was more than fine with waiting. It just sounded so fun. Decorating his first ever Christmas tree with his best friends. Like some dream come true.

He nodded eagerly, but then, his excited expression was replaced with sadness. Maybe Regulus wanted to decorate a Christmas tree. To decorate a Christmas tree with his big brother. They never did stuff like that. Sirius felt like a sharp blade got stuck in his heart.

Like Euphemia read his mind, she flicked her wand and the kettle behind Sirius filled up with water and got placed on the stove. Then, she turned back to him, "James mentioned something about a fight you had with your brother?", she asked gently.

There was just something about Mrs. Potter. Sirius couldn't quite put a finger to it. He felt like he could tell her anything, like she really cared about him and wanted the best for him, "Yeah... he kind of... hurt me."

Euphemia gave him another one of her kind smiles. It was like her smile pulled the blade out of his heart, not fully, but enough for Sirius to compose himself again.

The water was done boiling and, with another flick of her wand, two mugs full of tea levitated towards them. Euphemia slid the red one to Sirius, "I'm sure hurting you wasn't his intention.", there was a brief silence before she continued, "Sometimes hurt people hurt people."

Sirius lifted the mug to his lips, deep in thought. Was Regulus really that hurt? Did he really just want to spend the holidays with Sirius? Granted, that didn't really excuse the insult he threw James' way, but maybe that was also because he was hurt and he knew that insulting Sirius' friends will hurt Sirius as well.

He sighed. Sirius thought that he was complicated, but, apparently, compared to Regulus, he was a piece of cake. It was probably due to their parents' teachings so, realistically, he shouldn't really blame Regulus. Regulus is just a kid after all, he doesn't know any better. Maybe Sirius just needs to try and show him better.

He talked a bit more with Euphemia about school and the shenanigans the Marauders came up with during this semester. Needless to say, she wasn't really impressed. Soon after, Mr. Potter came home and greeted everybody.

Steo made an incredible lunch for all of them. Sirius enjoyed everything. From food and decorations to the company and laughter. It was just a perfect start to the winter break.

* * *

Friday, 22nd December 1972.

Potter Manor