CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE

-Eustace's Introduction-

As the crew dispersed at Drinian's command, returning to their duties, one of the crew members kindly offered me water, which I graciously accepted

As the crew dispersed at Drinian's command, returning to their duties, one of the crew members kindly offered me water, which I graciously accepted. I settled beside Lucy, taking a sip of the refreshing drink.

Moments later, Edmund stepped in front of me, leaving a tender peck on my lips. "You were great, my love," he grinned, taking the water from my hands to have a sip.

My cheeks warmed further at his sweet gesture, though I was grateful that the girl beside me seemed too captivated by the ocean's beauty to notice the tender moment between us. The soft sound of waves provided a serene backdrop to the unfolding scenes on the ship.

Lucy's curious inquiry caught our attention, prompting Edmund to move beside me, leaning against the wooden railings as he listened intently.

"Edmund," Lucy began, her voice carrying a hint of wonder, "Do you think if we keep sailing to the end of the world, we will just... tip off the edge?"

"Don't worry, Lu, we're a long way from there," Ed responded, and I followed.

"Perhaps the world is more mysterious than we could fathom," I responded, joining in the conversation. I added, "Maybe there's a new horizon waiting for us, something beyond our wildest dreams, just waiting to be discovered."

I glanced out at the vast expanse of the sea, feeling the allure of the unknown tugging at our adventurous spirits. The concept of sailing to the end of the world was indeed intriguing, stirring up the imagination with endless possibilities.

As the unfamiliar voice interrupted our conversation, I turned my attention towards the source. Standing nearby was the presumed cousin of Edmund and Lucy, his expression more one of annoyance than playfulness.

"I see you're still talking nonsense, the two of you," he remarked, his tone tinged with an air of irritation rather than jest. His presence added an unexpected note of tension to the conversation, marking his arrival with a sense of mild irritation among Edmund.

"Hello there," I greeted, maintaining a friendly smile despite the visible irritation on the boy's face.

"And who could you be?" he inquired, scrutinizing me from toe to head, his eyebrows furrowing.

"I'm Cora. I'm..." I began, but my words were abruptly cut off as he intervened.

"Ah, my cousin's girlfriend? Your name seems to be a constant mention in his ramblings," he interjected, his brows still furrowed as he leaned against the wooden railing beside Edmund, appeared flustered, and was glaring at his cousin.

"Oh, really?" I quipped, casting a teasing glance at Edmund, who seemed to be avoiding making eye contact with me.

"Though I thought his delusions had completely taken over his head until you're..." he paused, letting the words hang in the air for a moment. "Standing right here in front of me now."