Chapter 118 - Part 1

Start from the beginning

His mom and sister always treated him as a child, and there were many things they didn't tell him. The day his mom tried to hang herself and his sister left the capital, Yan Mo only found out everything after the fact. He was naturally dejected and discouraged, but Yan Mo also knew he could only do his best to grow stronger. He had to grow strong enough to be able to block the wind and rain before he could escape the situation he was in.

Nothing seemed to have happened during the time Yan Yan was gone.

The old madam was still her old self, lying in the Rongan Hall muddling around waiting to die. The eldest branch's Xue-shi was secretly preparing all sorts of things for Yan Ru's marriage and was extremely busy. The third branch's Chen-shi had been very quiet recently. She had finally finished copying down the scriptures and was no longer confined. The first thing she did when going out was to admit her mistakes to the old madam.

She seemed to have changed, and had returned to the taciturn person of the past. She also started getting along with Concubine Cui, seemingly aware that it would be hard for her to get pregnant again at her age. She spent her time watching Concubine Cui's stomach, praying daily that she would give birth to a boy.

Therefore, Chen-shi got herself back into Yan Qu's good graces.

Yan Yan heard all of this from Matron Zou and the maids under her, but she felt things weren't that simple. However, since this matter didn't really have much to do with her, she didn't think too much about it.

While Yan Yan had been gone, Shen Yi Yao had covered it up by saying she had stayed at the Zhenguo Duke Estate. No one in the estate had any doubts. The second day Yan Yan returned, Yan Ru and Yan Ling came to visit.

Seeing Yan Yan, Yan Ru was shocked: "How did you get so tanned? It's not even summer yet!"

Yan Yan had truly tanned quite a bit on this trip. She was born beautiful so although she wasn't as fair as before, she couldn't be called swarthy. However, since Yan Ru had always been envious of Yan Yan's snow-white skin, the difference was naturally very apparent.

Yan Yan smiled: "It's different living at grandfather's place. No one fusses over me so I went riding every day. It's only natural I got darker."

Yan Ru regretfully stroked her wrist, "You're about to marry and it's better for a bride to be fair."

Yan Ling winked naughtily at Yan Yan, "Eldest sis was always envious of third sis's fair skin. Now that third sis got darker, she doesn't seem too bothered by it but instead it's eldest sis who feels it's a pity."

After all her efforts over this period of time, Xue-shi could be said to have forgiven Yan Ling.

That matter wasn't caused by Yan Ling after all, and after so many years the two of them knew each other well enough. They were both intelligent and naturally wouldn't self-destruct. Xue-shi had already arranged everything so there was no need to let it go to waste due to being upset. Once her anger faded, her treatment of Yan Ling returned to normal.

"Great! You're making fun of me again, you scoundrel!"

Yan Ru went to tickle Yan Ling out of embarrassment.

Yan Ling laughed and shirked away, "Hey, I'm just telling the truth. I'm also very envious of third sis's skin. It's nothing to be ashamed of, so why not say it?"

Yan Yan also laughed and scolded: "It seems the two of you came just to make fun of me!"

The three of them laughed together.

~~~~~~

Time passed by like flowing water.

After Xue-shi finished arranging Yan Ru's dowry, she put all her efforts into teaching Yan Ru the art of being a wife. She told her everything there was to know and Yan Ru's head was about to explode.