ch.29

“Wow. F**k. It’s so big even when I look at it again.”

Kang Seok-joo looked at the swimming pool from the living room on the second floor and said something whether it was an insult or admiration. In the yard, the staff was filling the finished swimming pool with water. The color of the tile was also cobalt blue, so just looking at it made his eyes feel refreshed.

Kang Seok-joo turned around and approached Ja-kyung. He was dressed in a neat black suit today and his hair was also waxed and pushed back. Ja-kyung hates to say this, but he looked more like Kang Il-hyun when he dressed up like this.

“Hurry up and get dressed. Let’s go together.”

Kang Seok-joo asked to go to the funeral together. Choi Ki-tae’s factory exploded a few days ago, killing his subordinates, including his younger brother, and causing an uproar. It appeared on TV news once, but when asked if he had seen it, Ja-kyung simply shook his head.

Even though people died in this way, it was not widely reported in newspapers or on tv news. Due to the investigation, the body could not be collected for a few days, so the funeral was only held today. The investigation was also just a talk that was used to cover up before moving on.

“How can one person beat them up like that? The dead had all had their heads blown off and their brains spilled out.”

Ja-kyung, who was listening, frowned and expressed disgust.

“That’s terrible…”

“They said it was a one-shot, one-kill.”

Seok-joo pretended to shoot a gun in the air. Paang, paang, paang, then aim it at Ja-kyung. Look at his shooting form. Go to the army, you bastard.

“Raise your hand.”

“It’s not funny… stop it.”

Seok-joo straightened his posture and chuckled.

“I’d never do it. Getting shot with a gun like an idiot. Isn’t that pathetic?”

Just looking at Kang Seok-joo’s expression, he looked like someone going to a celebration party, not a funeral. Unsurprisingly, Ja-kyung discovered Choi Ki-tae had a hostile relationship with his younger brother. There was a reason he was saved as a bastard rather than a name on his dead younger brother’s phone.

“Maybe after the funeral, Choi Ki-tae will have a party right away?”

“Isn’t his brother just dead?”

“I know. I’ll do the same thing when Director Kang dies.”

Kang Seok-joo gritted his teeth. There must be a lot of things piled up. The scar on his temple was much lighter than when he first saw it. He heard Kang Il-hyun stab it with an awl. Il-hyun felt much intention to kill, but he didn’t kill him.

“I’m just saying, just in case… You aren’t going to tell this to Director Kang, right?”

Even after insulting Kang Il-hyun, he was scared and made sure to check.

“I will not… We’re not that close.”

“Right? You two have completely different personalities, and you can’t get to know each other.”

Still, Kang Seok-joo was proud of the fact that he thought Ja-kyung was closer to him than Kang Il-hyun. He wanted to tell him that his mental distance might be closer to him, but not physically. Ja-kyung said that he and Kang Il-hyun had already eaten together once. Of course, he wanted to add that it was absolutely not because he liked it.

***

Ja-kyung thought it would be a hospital because it was said to be a funeral, but it was a fairly large temple. There were black cars outside the temple, and people in black clothes were crowded inside. Hundreds of people seemed to have gathered. Most of the incoming cars moved together.