𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒓𝒚 𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒆

Start from the beginning

"They can't." She says and I sigh.

"Sophia-"

"My Dad is in hospital, I need my phone to message him." She speaks quietly, moving her hair from behind her ear, letting it fall to cover her face.

I freeze for a second before tapping the desk.

"Take out of your book, do your homework-"

"I can't." She tells me, I sigh rubbing my forehead.

"Why?"

"I am taking care of my sister while my Dad is in hospital, she's only six, she got mad while I was trying to get her in the bath. She threw the book you gave me into the tub. I don't have the book, I haven't been able to study. I have tried but incase you haven't notice, nobody wants to be my friend." She says and I let out a breath.

"Where's your sister now?"

"With my neighbour, she's an old woman, she can barely walk but she gives me money for going to the store for her...I get the cheapest I can and with the rest I get stuff for me and Ella." She tells me and I chew my lip, guilt creeping up on me.

"Is your Dad going to be alright?"

"Yeah, he's going to be okay, he should be home this weekend." She moves her hair back.

"Look, I apologise. Sometimes I can be a bit of a bitch, I shouldn't but you should also discuss this with me before I give out." I tell her and she shrugs.

"I'm sorry for being rude in class." She says and I hum.

"Stop getting these, I don't know how you are but seriously stop, Sophia. You should not be spending the money you get on these." I hold up the vape and she nods her head slightly.

"I'll try."

I walk back to my desk taking out my purse.

"Miss, no." She says as I start walking back to her desk.

"I'm giving you enough for proper meals for you and your sister. If there is anything else going on, whether it's with your Dad or anybody else, you can trust and talk to me." I place the money down and she looks at it.

"My Dad is amazing, really. He's just struggling at the moment, he really is trying. Money is just a problem, I know it but Ella doesn't. My Dad is great at hiding it." She shrugs.

I check my watch before humming.

"There's five minutes left, you can pack up your things." I tell her and she nods.

"Thank you, Miss Snow. I don't think you're as bad as everyone thinks you are." She stands and I glance back at her smiling.

"Thanks, Sophia...How are you getting home?" I glance to the window, it's raining outside, not too heavy but it's still falling.

"Walking, I don't live too far and the walk is good for me." She packs up her things, I chew the inside of my lip as I put my laptop away.

"I'll give you a ride home."

I shut the door pushing the hood of my jacket down as I let out a sigh, I brought Sophia to a drive through to get some food for her and her sister. She thanked me many times but it was nothing to me, it just seemed like such a big thing to her.

"Baby?" I hear Diana and put down my bag with a smile.

"Just a second." I speak up, taking off my jacket and hanging it on the coat rack, Maggy walks out of the living room.

I pick up my bag walking to the kitchen, Maggy following.

"I'm fucking exhausted." I wipe a hand over my face stepping inside the kitchen, Diana stirs something in a bowl.