𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒓𝒚 𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒆

Start from the beginning

I glance up to Sophia...seeing her looking beneath the desk.

It's detention—she's in detention and she is doing the exact same thing she's here for.

"Sophia for Christ sake." I stand up, dropping the paper down before walking around my desk.

"It's important." She speaks holding her phone as she looks at me.

"Oh, what? Is it a boyfriend or something? Are the girls making plans without you?" I question, raising my voice slightly.

She shakes her head tucking her phone away but I shake my head holding out my hand.

"Give me the phone or so help me, Sophia, I will give you a months detention. You were already punished with a weeks detention that Mr Bishop agreed on because you have broken the rules, he will be furious to find out you used it during detention too." I say and her shoulders drop slightly.

"I'm doing my work, Miss! I was just checking something." She says.

"Where's your English homework?"

"I...I done it already." She responds and I put my hand on my hip, raising my eyebrows.

"Get it out, if it's not done correctly, I will give you double the questions because from the look of your exam...You did not bother even picking up the book, you are a smart student, Sophia. I know that. You have listened well since I started here and I've heard nothing but positive things about you, this sudden change is something I'm not a fan of." I tell her, putting my hand on the desk waiting for her to get out her homework.

"Okay—I don't have it done—"

"What have you been doing the last thirty minutes?" I raise my voice and she looks away from me.

"I had to check my phone, it was really important." She tells me, I shake my head, she pulls her phone out of her pocket again and something drops to the floor.

I bend down to pick whatever it is up, she quickly bends down picking it up before me. Please lord help me, that better not be what I think it is.

"Sophia." I say straightening up.

"Miss—"

"That better not be what I think it is—"

"It's none of your business what I do outside of school, stay out of it." She raises her voice. I look at her and she looks back at me annoyed.

I take a breath.

"I'm required to tell Mr Bishop what I saw." I say and she drops her shoulders as her eyes soften turning to fear almost.

"You don't even know what you saw." She mumbles looking away from me. She has a vape on her. It's not that difficult to work out what it was. She's fifteen. How did she even get that?

"Give it to me, I mean it. I will tell him and your parents will be called." I hold out my hand, she glares at me before handing it to me.

"This is ridiculous. You are fifteen years old, it is illegal for you to have this, you shouldn't want to have it. It is so damaging towards your health, do you understand that?" I speak putting it down on the desk. She looks down at the floor.

"I saw you smoking outside of school before at lunch." She mumbles and I hum.

"What I do is different, I'm old enough and while I shouldn't I still do, I don't encourage it, not one bit and I have quit because of the risks." I tell her and she shakes her head.

"You have it, now leave me alone." She mumbles.

"Your phone, your parents can come to me and get you when you're picked up."