Ollivanders

As they reached Ollivander's, the shop looked empty. Her aunt told her to go in, and she would return and get her.

Willow obeyed and entered the shop. Her own magic wand... this was what she had been really looking forward to. She had practised some spells with her aunt's wand at home, and she had been looking forward to getting her own wand since she had successfully used a spell to grow her Halloween pumpkin in their garden. The shop looked empty; no shop owner was anywhere in sight.

"Hello!" Willow looked around.

A very old man emerged from behind a stack of boxes piled in a corner behind the counter, giving Willow a start

"Good afternoon, dear." the old man greeted her, reaching the counter and adjusting the spectacles on his nose as he seemed to scrutinise Willow with his unblinking, fierce gaze.

Willow thought he must be over a hundred years old.

"Hello, Sir. I want to buy a wand," Willow informed the old man.

Ollivander: (smiling) Ah, Yes, yes, my dear. Of course. A Blackwood child. Tell me your name, dear.

Willow: I'm Willow Blackwood, Sir.

Ollivander: Willow, yes, let's find you the perfect wand. (he retrieves a few boxes and a tape measure)

"Hmmm," said Mr. Ollivander, giving Willow a piercing look. "Well, now, Miss Blackwood. Let me see." He pulled the long tape measure with silver markings out of his pocket. "Which is your wand arm?"

Willow thought about what he meant by the wand arm, then said, "Well, I'm - right-handed, Sir, so right?"

"Hold out your arm. That's it." He measured Willow from shoulder to finger, wrist to elbow, shoulder to floor, knee to armpit and round her head. As he measured, he said, "Every Ollivander wand has a core of a powerful magical substance, Miss Blackwood. We use unicorn hairs, phoenix tail feathers, and the heartstrings of dragons. No two Ollivander wands are the same, just as no two unicorns, dragons, or phoenixes are quite the same. And, of course, you will never get such good results with another wizard's wand."

Willow suddenly realised that the tape measure, which was measuring between her nostrils, was doing this on its own. Mr Ollivander was flitting around the shelves, taking down boxes.

"That will do," he said, and the tape measure crumpled into a heap on the floor. "Right then, Miss Blackwood. Try this one.

Ollivander: (handing her a wand) Try this eleven-inch phoenix feather core.

Willow: (waves the wand, but nothing happens) Uh, I don't think this one is...

Ollivander: (interrupting) No worries, no worries. (hands her another wand) Maple wood, dragon heartstring, ten inches.

Willow: (tries the wand, but still no reaction) Hm, not quite.

Ollivander: (nods) Understandable. (offers another wand) Ebony, unicorn hair, twelve inches.

Willow: (waves the wand, and a few sparks fly) Oh, that felt different.

Ollivander: Interesting. (takes back the wand) Let's try one more. (hands her a wand) Ebony wood, handle made out of Pine Wood, phoenix feather, thirteen and a half inches.

Willow: (waves the wand, and suddenly the room is filled with a soft glow) Wow!

Ollivander: (smiling knowingly) It seems we've found a match. That wand has accepted you, Willow Blackwood.

Willow: (grinning) It's amazing! What does that mean?

Ollivander: (mysterious) It means the wand has chosen you. A very special connection, indeed.

Willow: Thank you, Sir. I love it!

(Ollivander nods as Willow admires her new wand. Just as she's about to leave...)

Aunt Deirdre: (appearing with a grin) How's my little witch finding her wand?

Willow: Aunt Deirdre! It's incredible! Mr. Ollivander found the perfect one for me.

Aunt Deirdre: (smiling) I knew he would. Now, speaking of perfect matches, I have something for you.

(She revealed a beautifully adorned cage with a beautiful black-feathered owl inside.)

Willow: (gasping) An owl! Aunt Deirdre, it's stunning!

Aunt Deirdre: Consider this my Christmas present this year. And I expect you to write to me every two weeks now.

Willow: (hugging her aunt) Thank you! I love them both.

(They left Ollivanders and headed to the candy shop.)

Willow: Can we get candies and some Chocolate Frogs?

Aunt Deirdre: (laughing) Of course, my dear. It's a tradition.

(They bought the candies, and Willow bought some extra parchment to write letters to Ginny.)

Willow: (excitedly) I can't wait to write to Ginny and tell her about everything!

Aunt Deirdre: (smiling) And I'm sure she'll be thrilled to hear from you.

They headed back home, the owl hooting happily in its cage. Willow clutched her wand tightly, and most of her worries from the morning disappeared as she held her aunt's hand.