Chapter 16: We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes

Start from the beginning

Damon: Or maybe he didn't want to linger in a house where his sister just jammed a knife in his neck.

[Stefan's phone rings.]

Stefan: It's Klaus.

Damon: Oooh, time to face the music. Pay the piper, dance with the devil.

Stefan: You know, I'm glad you find this amusing. If he finds out I told you about the cure, he'll kill both of us.

Damon: Quit avoiding him, that means shady. Shady people get outed.

[Stefan answers the phone.]

Stefan: I don't want to talk about it.

[Klaus is outside, walking through a neighbourhood.]

Klaus: Well, I can't imagine why, what with you ruining all my plans for a hybrid filled future.

Stefan: Well, it wouldn't have happened, if you hadn't sworn me to secrecy.

[Stefan looks at Damon. Damon nods.]

Klaus: Well, life's full of ifs, Stefan. But let's accentuate the positives, shall we? The hunter was one of five; we'll find another. It may take centuries, but we've got nothing but time, right?

Stefan: You're using your calm voice today. Who's getting killed?

Klaus: Not you, if that's what you're worried about. But I am concerned about your beloved. Have the hallucinations started yet?

[Stefan and Damon look at each other.]

Stefan: What do you know about that?

Klaus: I'll tell you. Where are you?

Stefan: I'm at her house.

Klaus: How convenient, so am I.

[Klaus knocks on the door. Stefan hangs up his phone. Stefan opens the front door and walks outside, past Klaus. Klaus follows him.]

Klaus: You know, this would all be a lot more civilised if I was just invited inside.

Stefan: It's bad enough I'm out here talking to you. What do you know?

Klaus: I killed the original five hunters, remember? When one kills a hunter, there's a bit of a consequence.

Stefan: What kind of consequence?

Klaus: The hunters were spelled by witches to kill vampires; if you prevent one from fulfilling his destiny then he'll take you down with him.

Stefan: What do you mean? Connor's dead.

Klaus: I mean, Connor's death won't prevent him from making Elena his final vampire kill. She'll need to come with me now. I'll lock her up, keep her away from any sharp wooden objects.

Stefan: She's not going anywhere with you.

Klaus: Well, if we leave her alone, she'll take her own life before the day is out.

Stefan: She's stronger than that.

Klaus: Is she? Believe me, it's for her own good.

[Elena comes out of the bathroom. She looks in the mirror as she adjusts her sweater and sees Connor standing behind her. She gasps and turns around. Connor touches the blood on his neck and walks towards her.]

Connor: Would you like some? You seemed to enjoy it when you drink from me.

Elena: I wasn't myself. I was angry.

Connor: Were you yourself when you snapped my neck with your bare hands?

Elena: You staked me.

Connor: Because you're a monster and you deserve to die. Admit it.