The Zhenguo Duke patted her shoulder and sighed. "Your grandfather is grateful you can understand these things. But your marriage was actually decided so randomly, grandfather..."

Yan Yan's lips curled in a smile. "Your granddaughter feels it's pretty good this way. As long as my marriage wasn't decided, my dad wouldn't give up. Furthermore, the fourth prince and I could be called childhood friends. He will definitely treat granddaughter well. Grandfather doesn't have to worry."

Towards Luo Huai Yuan jumping out to lift the siege, Yan Yan was a little startled but also not that startled.

He had spoken those words once before, but merely phrased them differently in front of the crowd today. To say she wasn't moved would really be a lie. This fellow would always pop up in weird ways and make her feel extremely moved.

Yan Yan wasn't fifteen yet after all. It was a miracle that she could come up with a way to refuse the second prince in front of everyone on such short notice. She was also a girl, and didn't want others to look at her weirdly.

Did she not feel anything about belittling herself in front of everyone? Of course she did, but she had to do it.

In such an awkward situation, even the Zhenguo Duke couldn't stand out and shelter her. She had to face the awkward situation of "as expected, no one would marry her". Did she not feel awkward? Of course she did, but she merely put on her usual cold, firm and even indifferent expression to face the situation.

She had never been the standard proper lady from a young age. The older she got, the further she strayed, and her personality was already fixed. She was occasionally envious of her eldest sis Yan Ru, envious of Liu Shu Yi. One didn't have a high status but had someone like Xue-shi protecting her behind the scenes. The other was a proud daughter of the heavens who could live her innocent life as she pleased under her family's indulgence.

She had never had these things. The reason she had it a little better now was all due to her thorns which protected her territory. If anyone encroached, she would ensure the invader couldn't retreat unharmed.

She had already gotten used to this tough attitude, and also gotten used to shouldering all sorts of difficulties by herself. Even though her mom had snapped out of it and changed, she wasn't able to become someone who would seek shelter in her mother's arms. However, she would still feel weakness occasionally and need comforting. She also needed someone's approval to steady her resolve.
There was one person who from the moment they met continued to tell her....

You are very good, very good, good everywhere. Her weirdness and unconventionalism weren't problems. He even told her he liked her a lot, liked her for a long time.

Was this what it meant to like?

Yan Yan knew Luo Huai Yuan jumping out to help her came at great risk to himself. The reason he always maintained an act was to remain unobtrusive. But today, because of her, all his previous efforts had gone to waste. No matter what he did in the future, because it involved her, he would inevitably be noticed. His days would definitely not be as easy in the future, and others might even guard against him as a possible enemy.

During their interactions in the past, Yan Yan knew what Luo Huai Yuan wished for. His biggest wish was to leave the palace and be free to do whatever he wanted.

Could his wish still be realized? Yan Yan didn't really understand what he meant by freedom, but knew it definitely wasn't easy to achieve anymore.

Was this what it meant to like?
For the sake of liking someone, abandoning the peace he finally acquired?

He could sacrifice so, so much for her. Since that's the case, it didn't seem like a big deal to marry him.
Hearing Yan Yan mention Yan Ting, the Zhenguo Duke frowned. "That bastard's getting closer and closer to the second prince's faction. Even if he wasn't responsible for the matter with the wolves, he must have known about it. What are your thoughts?"