After returning to camp, everyone present was called over for questioning.

Yan Yan's group as well as Liu Shu Yi and Chu Ming Chen who had gone for reinforcements were all brought in. However, they didn't say too much. They merely described the general situation. Liu Shu Yi also didn't mention the weirdness that happened on their way back. They made it seem like their group was ambushed by the wolf pack and the two of them had broken out to get reinforcements. Unexpectedly, by the time they arrived the crown prince had already set out with people to help. Therefore, their efforts had been in vain.

There was also an explanation for Luo Huai Yuan's presence. He had gotten separated from his guards and was chased by a single wolf. After being rescued by Shen Qi's group, he ended up being swept into the calamity.

Of course, many people wondered how the dozen or so people managed to kill so many wolves as well as over twenty ambushers. The Zhenguo Duke provided the explanation. His grandson and granddaughter were both young, so the guards he arranged this time were all experts.

The traces of explosions around the corpses were also explained away by Shen Qi. The explosives were given to him by the Zhenguo Duke to defend himself. The wolf pack wasn't actually wiped out. They were just scared off by the heavy casualties and the loud explosions.

The matter of Yan Yan killing people was concealed by Shen Qi and Luo Huai Yuan. Apart from the Zhenguo Duke knowing about it, even the Zhenguo madam wasn't told.

What happened next no longer concerned Shen Qi's group.

After a round of investigations, apart from finding out the people in green were responsible for the wolf pack, nothing else was discovered.

There were no witnesses left alive. The wolves in the hunting grounds were wiped out and those responsible for guarding the perimeters were scolded. But there truly weren't any clues. It was as though these wolves and those mysterious people had appeared from thin air. Emperor Xi was extremely furious.

The only thing they got was a wax paper pouch from one of the people in green. In the pouch was a sort of secret medicine powder. This powder had no smell to humans, but wolves were not fond of it. The wolf pack was probably gathered using the influence of this medicine.

This matter caused quite a lot of waves in the camp.

Some women had been planning on going along to play and hunt. After this matter, the amount of women going out had suddenly decreased by a lot.
The third prince was without a doubt the champion of the first day's hunt. However, since this matter had occurred, there was no celebratory banquet or whatever for him. The handsome reward mentioned by Emperor Xi naturally failed to materialize.

Several noble descendents who had wanted to impress the emperor were upset at the lack of recognition. They could only hang their heads in dejection as they cursed whoever was responsible for this matter.

In the following days, the empress and the crown prince's side turned the entire surroundings upside down. Senior Concubine Xu and the second prince also expressed a lot of concern and busied themselves as well. But there was still no conclusion to this matter. The empress's side naturally didn't want to let the senior concubine's side off, but the problem was the lack of evidence.

This matter thus passed. It seemed neither side suffered losses. Only the crown prince got a scare and lost several loyal guards.

The only unfortunately ones was Yan Yan's group. However, the empress and the crown prince had lowered themselves sufficiently, continuously sending over rewards. What could anyone say about it? Those few guards had died unfortunate deaths.