X

X
March 25th 1978

     “What the fuck did you do to your hair?!” Sirius screeches. I jumped in response because I hadn't heard Sirius come in.

I look over at Sirius and back at the mirror. The difference now was that the under portion of my hair was bleached a blonde yellow color which was visible even if it was under most of my black curls. I truly didn't know what I was thinking. I just did it. I hadn't felt like myself for a while now since the spring holidays, which probably caused my impulsive decision. 

“I-uh,” I responded, but couldn't even make a sentence to explain myself.

“Reg, what's going on? This isn't like you. You usually aren't this spontaneous.” Sirius said gently as he walked up to me.

“I don't know.” I responded, now looking away from my reflection and now downwards.

“Are you okay?” Sirius asked.

“I just feel different.” I replied.

“Since spring break?” Sirius asked. I nodded, hardly able to even form words.

“The hair was a way to cope, but next time might be worse. You need to stop bottling it up and talk to me or even James about this,” Sirius said.

I looked at Sirius and he was already looking at me with concern edged into his face.

“I don't think I can.” I said.

“You can but when you're ready, but next time you're feeling like doing something baffling maybe come to me,” Sirius said.

“I don't know how I even got here. I just wanted to feel in control.” I responded.

“Well, it's not half bad looking, just surprising because I'm used to your black hair.” Sirius said.

“No, it definitely looks bad.” I said, not suddenly feeling close to freaking out. What had I done?

“Hey, Reg, don't freak out, it's okay.” Sirius said, grabbing me away from the mirror so I couldn't look at it.

“What have I done? This is bad.” I cried out, no longer being away to hold the tears.

Sirius looked thrown back at the sudden outburst.

“Reg, I'm going to take you to my dorm.” Sirius said.

“No, then James will see this.” I replied while pointing to my hair.

“James will be fine now, let's go,” Sirius said.

Sirius practically dragged me to his dorm after a fight I gave him while grabbing hold of every doorway possible.

“Hey Sirius, Reg- what the fuck happened to your hair?!” James started nicely but then blurted out.

“Ah well, Reg here might have just gone baffling.” Sirius said.

“Sirius!” I screeched.

“No, the problem is he's freaking out after doing this,” Sirius said while pointing to my hair.

“Uh, well, I can help,” James responded.

“Please, take him. He will give me gray hairs with the amount of shit he gets caught in. Plus, you're like a therapist. If anyone comes to help, it's you.” Sirius said.

“Reg, come here.” James said after nodding to Sirius.

“I'm going to find Moony.” Sirius said before walking out of the dorm.

“Reg, come here.” James repeated.

I walk over and sit on the bed and look at James, who was obviously checking out the new change to my head.

“It's horrible I know.” I said in answer to James's eyes.

“It's not horrible, but different, drastic even,” James said in reassurance.

“I don't even know what came over me.” I said.

“Reg, please just talk to me. You have been ignoring me and now this, you need to talk out what happened,” James said.

“I'm not ready, but when I am, you will be the first to hear it.” I replied.

“Okay.” James said simply. He pulled me forward and rubbed his hand up and down my back to soothe me, maybe even say unannounced that he has me.

~
-James Pov-

     “Is he sleeping?” Sirius asked as he pointed to my bed.

“He is. He needs it. He looks like he hasn't for a while.” I replied.

“It's probably nightmares. I got them after as well.” Sirius explained.

“Then I'm glad he's here.” I said.

“I am too.” Sirius responded.

I sat there with Sirius, looking at Reg's sleeping position. He looked so angelic and at peace.

“Hey, James?” Sirius asked.

“Yeah?” I asked.

“Remus said you were trying to get a date a few days ago. Who was it? Is it Lily?” Sirius asked.

“I can't tell you who yet, but I will once the time's right.” I replied.

“Not Lily?” Sirius asked.

“No, I'm done chasing someone that doesn't like me.” I replied.

“Good, you deserve someone that wants you.” Sirius said.

“They definitely do, and I honestly think I might have fallen in love.” I replied.

“Do you think they feel the same?” Sirius asked.

“Maybe I'm not sure. I just know we work.” I said.

“I'm glad.” Sirius said.

“I am too.” I replied.

Sirius hugged me after I said that. Sirius was the type to hug you like you might fall apart, but they were always the best hugs.