'Why this person? Who is this?'

'A friend.'

'A friend?' He raised an eyebrow, slightly squinting

'A very good one, too. And I want to help him.'

'I see.' He chuckled and threw the file on the table gently, crossing his arms. 'You need me to represent him.'

'Not exacatly. I need you to sit on the bench and support me while I do it.'

'Hmm.' He tilted his head, looking at me as his tongue poked the inside of his cheek in amusement. 'You want to run a case?'

'Yes. But we both know that I can't do it without a liscenced attorney.'

'Well, I don't see how this is benefiting me. I have nothing to gain here. I am not interested.'

He was about to get up, and I kind of stopped him by putting my palms on the table, looking directly at him. 'I am not asking this so we could benefit. We don't have to benefit a thing. But your job is to help people, isn't it? So help me help him.'

'If you found all of this and made such a big case for yourself, then you shouldn't have a problem finding yourself someone who will be your support. I won't do it.'

He got up and started walking away, but I'm not done here. The last of my pride can go. I don't need it.

'Dad, please.' I never call him dad. He didn't really deserve it. 'Can you just once in your life act like a parent?'

He turned around in his spot, looking at me.

'When have I ever asked you for help? Ever. And I'm asking you now, so you know it's important. I never would have asked otherwise.'

'Hmm.' He hummed and walked back a bit towards me, stopping only a few feet away. 'I need something in return.'

'As expected. What do you want?'

'You must marry Namjoon.'

I knew he would ask for something. I knew it would be something that would be hard. Although, I'm not all that surprised. But I am something, because my heart is beating out of my head.

'You agree to the terms, and I will guarantee you he will get the best possible outcome. I will do over what I need to do to help you. That's a promise.'

'But?'

'But if you don't, not only will I not help you, I will make it so you never reach the trial. I will report you for giving legal advice without a degree, and then you won't even graduate. And that is another promise.'

'I don't want to marry Namjoon.'

'And I don't want to help some guy that you are in love with. But here we are.'

It felt like a massive slap to the face that woke me up from a deep sleep. My stomach clenched in a tight knot while my heart smashed against my chest so hard that I could barely breathe.

I watched him take another step, with a slight, cocky smile on his face. 'You don't have to act so surprised. I am a lot of things, but blind and stupid are not one of them. No one will go to these lenghts and put in countless hours of work to help someone out of the pure goodness of their heart. Not unless it involves something more. And the sole fact that you are begging me for help tells me more than I need to know.'

'If you know so much, if you are so sure that I love someone else, why are you forcing me to marry another man?' I grit my teeth, at this very moment thankful that my anger is taking over my other emotions so I'm not a crying mess

'Because I have the power to do so.' 

God I want to punch him.

'Now,' he looks at his watch, 'I will give you 24 hours to come and tell me about your decision. Unless you can find another lawyer within the time, or he simply gives up on it, your last name will be Kim. That will be all.'

The sounds of his footsteps as he walked away rang away in my mind, the sound mirroring the loud slamming of my heart. And the moment he was out of my sight, I took the deepest, sharpest breath, feeling it slightly hitch in my chest. 

I crouched down and hugged my knees, crying into my arms.

One thing. I ask him one thing, and he finds a way to destroy it. And out of all the choices, I have the hardest one to make.

Help Jimin and lose the rest of my life and my heart to someone I will never love, or lose everything I worked so hard for, let Jimin down, and in the end lose him, too.

Like choosing between the two evils. I need to choose the lesser one.