43. Unspoken Knowledge

Start from the beginning

"So I am not enough for you?!"

They glared into each other, their index fingers with each other's constellations now on the opposite sides for the first time.

Calm down, Sirius. You are older, you have to act like it, Sirius told to himself before lowering his finger, "Come with me. Peter offered it at the wedding and you refused. He probably thought that you would refuse it now as well. We can go to the Potter's Christmas party and—"

That was apparently another wrong thing to say since Sirius practically saw Regulus' blood boil at the mention of the Potters, "I would never step a foot inside that blood traitor's house and neither should you! Wasn't the broom a strong enough punishment to keep you from trouble?"

Now Sirius's temper came back as well, "Stop calling him that!", but Regulus didn't stop, "That is who he is! Everyone in Slytherin knows it and soon the rest of Hogwarts will too."

What did the Slytherins know? Why did Regulus know this? Was he hanging around prejudice brats? Were they poisoning his brain like Orion and Walburga? But before he could ask his brother any of these questions, Sirius' head short-circuited. It was like his brain finally caught up onto what Regulus exactly said earlier, "You knew?", he whispered.

It was more a statement than a question, but it was like Regulus immediately knew what Sirius was talking about. He diverted his gaze from his brother for the first time since they entered the secret corridor.

"You knew what they were going to do?", Regulus kept silent, "You knew about the broom and you never told me?! Never warned me?!", Sirius yelled.

He couldn't remember the last time he was this angry. Steam practically rose from him, but Regulus tried to defend himself, "I told you that they ordered you to leave the team.", but that statement only angered Sirius even more, "You never mentioned anything about them wanting to destroy my first ever broomstick!"

"What difference would it made?!", it seemed like Regulus' anger was back as well since he lifted his gaze to glare at Sirius again, "You wouldn't have left the team either way because you are a stubborn idiot who doesn't listen!"

"I would know what to expect! Of course I wouldn't have left the team because I'm not some puppet they can control!", Sirius roared while nearing Regulus.

They were never angrier at each other in their whole lives. Sirius saw this as a betrayal from Regulus. Like he took his parents' side since he kept the information about Sirius' punishment to himself. They should have each other's backs, but Regulus had Orion and Walburga's backs instead of Sirius' which hurt like hell. He felt like he's been punched straight to the gut. If someone asked him, Sirius would have never guessed in a million years that Regulus knew something this big and kept it from him.

Regulus did take a step back, away from Sirius, but he kept his glare and tone of voice, "Because you are stupid! You are just making everything harder on purpose! They just want what's best for us!"

That was it. Sirius Black was done. He turned around, away from his brother and neared the exit of the secret corridor. Before he left, he turned to Regulus once again, pure disappointment on his face clear as day, "Keep telling yourself that. For someone who calls James a traitor, you know a lot about being one.", Regulus flinched at his words, but Sirius didn't stop, he wanted to draw blood in that moment, "James would have never betrayed me in a way that you have."

He did feel bad after saying that, but the pure horror on Regulus' face from being compared to James gave him such satisfaction that the bad feeling disappeared immediately.

Sirius left him there. Alone in the secret corridor in hopes that Regulus will be smart and think about everything they had spoken about. He retreated back to his dorm, barely able to concentrate on finding the Gryffindor Tower, let alone listen to his professors.