Chapter 5: Dreaming of Hope

I know! It's been a while, but I have been working! I'm still writing, though.

                                                                                     ~~~~~~~~

Tsukiko tossed and turned in bed while two figures floated down to her sleeping form.

"Man, this place is a dump..." Yusuke stated while looking around her room.

He took in the cracks littering the room, discoloration, and water damage. He noted that nothing personal was laid out anywhere in sight and wouldn't have guessed this was a female's room, let alone one of his best friends' rooms.

"It definitely lacks personality..." Botan trailed off.

Yusuke stepped to the old, worn bed and peered down at the tossing female wrapped in a thin comforter. He saw tears leaking from her closed lids, and his chocolate orbs softened.

"They truly care for you...Aw, how romantic...a love triangle between best friends..." Botan gushed as she covered her mouth with her kimono sleeve with a giggle.

"What the hell are you going on about!" Yusuke yelled at the laughing female, his cheeks dusting pink.

The sleeping female whimpered 'Yusuke' as she turned on her side, the two stopping in their tracks. Yusuke sat on the side of her bed, learning from his previous lesson, and called her name gently.

Tsukiko turned around, crying out Yusuke's name to the darkness around her. She would hear his voice coming from one direction, then another. She tried to follow it, to find her lost friend, but the voice constantly changed directions. She fell to her knees, covering her face with her hands while sobbing, giving up hope of finding her lost friend in the depths of the dark abyss. Her head shot up when she heard her name called by the person she had been searching for right in front of her, and her eyes widened as she looked up at him.

"Yusuke?" Her trembling voice asked in a whisper.

"Yeah, it's me, Tsukiko." He responded but jumped in the air, flinging his arms around him when she swung in her sleep at him and started shouting, "Whoa, hey, hey, wait!"

"You promised, you asshole! You promised!" She kept screaming while throwing her fist repeatedly at the boy who appeared before her, dodging each swing while shouting.

In her room, what was playing out in her dream, minus pitch black, was what was happening while the teen female still slept. In her sleep, she sat up, shouting and throwing punches at the floating male ghost as he begged her to stop while avoiding each fist she swung.

This went on until the boy did the only thing he could, what he would have typically done, caught her fist in his hand while grabbing hold of her shoulder with the other., "I know Tsukiko...I know I did, but I'm coming back, okay?"

"W-what?" She stammered, glancing up at the dark-haired male in wonder.

"Look, I've already talked to Keiko, but I have to take care of this egg until it hatches; then I can come back..." Yusuke spits out all at once.

"Egg? W-what?!" Tsukiko questioned in confusion.

Yusuke let out a growl, gripping both her shoulders, "Look, I know it sounds crazy, but what's important is that I'm a ghost right now, but I'm coming back. You and Keiko need to take care of my body until I come back. Tell them not to cremate me and tell my Mom not to waste her life away 'cause we're going to be fine! I know you or Keiko will be able to do this." Once she nodded, he continued, "I know I made that promise, Tsukiko, but I haven't left yet, and I'm coming back." He paused again, bringing a hand to her cheek, swiping his thumb over her tear-soaked cheek, "So...don't cry anymore. You or Keiko."