Chapter Sixteen: "Estranged For A Scepter"

Start from the beginning

"Kittysaurus, is this mean lady here bothering you?" Bittergiggle asks in a teasing tone, looking at me like he knows what he's doing. Ugh, this joker is seriously going to give me a migraine someday. Kittysaurus just growls lowly at me as if she's about to lunge at me any second now, so I take that as my sign to back away. I guess she's not over the whole taming thing I pulled on her...

"Hey, Lorelei, I'm sure you recognize Kittysaurus here, right?" Bittergiggle gestures to the giant dino-cat right next to him. "She's the one I sent after you back when I was still trying to make the queen laugh! Yeah, I'm... I'm still pretty sorry about that..." He laughs awkwardly as he scratches the back of his head. Yeah, you better fucking be.

I look up at the large creature with interest, smiling gently at her and slowly extending my hand out to pet her soft fur. She finally seems to warm up to me and begins purring loudly as she leans against my hand, clearly delighted by the attention she was getting. Hm, I guess this whole situation isn't as bad as I'd thought. It's nice having some company here, even if they just so happen to be kindergarten mascots.

Moving on, I find where Nabnab is sitting inside of his cage, looking as depressed as one can ever be. I can't help but really feel for the guy, considering how much he's been through lately and how much he probably went through back then. I tap lightly on the bar of his cage, but he doesn't seem to respond. Oh, well... Maybe next time, then?

As I walk off in Stinger Flynn's direction, I notice a note stuck in one of the bushes by the warehouse. Picking it up, I unfold it curiously, only to be met with an unnerving message.

'The criminals have won.

They gained my trust... They had me believe they were deliverers of justice alongside me.

Only to then throw me down here like filth as soon as they deemed me not up to their standards. Those rats will pay...

All criminals will pay.

From here on out, there is no more letting my guard down, and no more tricking me.

From here on out, there is no authority but me.'

I frown a little at the disturbing thought of Sheriff Toadster writing this when he was left alone down here. Man, if this is what he thought about the humans who he thought to have betrayed him, I can't imagine what he'll do to me once we meet again. I really hope I can find a way to properly explain myself if that time ever comes...

Finally, I make it over to where Flynn is sitting on a giant rock, and the glare he's giving me from that singular eye of his is killing me on the inside. "I wanted to let you know that this is all happening because of you. Never convince yourself otherwise." He tells me darkly. Way to rub salt into the wound...

"I'm aware, thanks." I mutter sarcastically to him. This is only pissing him off even more, and judging by the way his eye narrows at me, I can bet he'd probably smack me right now if he wasn't in a weakened state. But what can you expect? He told me to go home when I still have my children to save. Why would I give up now?

"If you hadn't interfered with my plan or the queen's, you'd be home on your warm bed. I would be free of my shackles, your son would still be safe with me, and everyone you hurt would not have been hurt." Flynn's words cut deep into me like a knife, and all I can do is bite my lip to avoid sobbing in front of him. I understand what he means, I do, and that's the problem.

"And ask yourself this. If I wasn't hooked up to pipes that drained me of my Givanium and shrunk my size, could my original size have aided us in our predicament?" Flynn continues as he glares at me venomously. "Because of your foolish decisions, we are even less likely now to ever get back to the children." He concludes coldly.