Chapter Fourteen: "A Joke And A Jangle"

I follow AVI4 through the dark, neither of us really making an effort to communicate with each other. I just keep thinking about how I'm going to get out of here with the missing children. I mean, who knows where those rascals are being kept? And how the hell am I gonna be able to reach them in my current position?

I spot a light ahead, illuminating what seems to be a switch to turn on the other lights in this area. Okay, good, at least I have a starting point now. I proceed towards the switch, and as I get closer to it, I spot a note on the floor by my foot. Oh, is this another one of Jack's notes? Curious, I bend down and pick up the piece of paper.

'Dear mommy,

I don't like the big face.

The face scares me.'

That's... eerie. What's even weirder is that there's a drawing just under the writing of that giant face I saw on one of the floors above. Seriously, what's the deal with that guy? Why would they let that freaky dude anywhere near kids, most of all? Whatever the reason, I sure hope it doesn't end up coming after me.

Putting the note down, I walk up to the light switch and activate it, turning on the lights for the building of the Introduction Sector behind me. Together with AVI4, I head over to the three doors and unlock one of them with my white keycard. Okay, just find the switch in here for one of those buttons over at the retreat and we'll be good to go.

Walking into the large building, I glance around me at the many different chairs and tables scattered around. There's also a giant whiteboard set up on one of the walls, presumably for presentations and stuff of that nature. I notice a blue door at the end of the room, which I'm guessing I need to find a blue keycard for. Typical...

I make my way over to the stairs leading up to the mezzanine level, my eyes immediately landing on a quote on the wall. 'Your daily dose of motivation: Life is a series of events played in the correct order!' Yeah, and my life is definitely lacking in that regard. At this rate, it feels like I'm living in a TV show, starring myself.

Eventually, after a while of exploring the mezzanine level and finding myself confused with the random colored dots on the walls, I find the blue keycard and snatch it up quickly. Phew, I had no idea there was such a huge collection of these things on the premises. Why they decided to come up with a keycard system, I will never know...

I make my way back down the stairs, towards the dark blue door that could probably lead into my doom or salvation. I notice that AVI4 seems to be quite hesitant on standing next to me, as if trying to tell me something. I don't understand why that would be, unless maybe it can sense something inside...?

I swipe the keycard over the reader and the door slowly slides open, only to reveal—

Oh, please tell me you're joking.

It's fucking Bittergiggle. He's just standing there with his goofy little face, with his goofy little stance, acting like he didn't do shit. Ohoho, and I vowed I would kill him if I ever found him again. Hell, he literally set a bunch of wild monsters free! He got my daughter into even more serious trouble than she initially was! I'm seriously kicking some jester ass tonight!

"A... Are they gone?" Bittergiggle asks me softly, nervously twiddling his thumbs. His voice is soft and shaky, a tinge of fear in the way he talks. I just stare at him coldly. How can he be so calm after everything he's done? How can he just stand here so innocently like he didn't just put us all into certain danger?

I growl angrily and stomp right over to Bittergiggle, knowing exactly what I'm about to do to him. I can see the pure fear in the jester's expression as I approach him. "U—Uh, Lorelei, wait! I—I can explain everything, I swear, I just—" He scrambles back, but it's too late. I raise my foot and kick him right in the crotch, causing him to double over in pain with a yelp.