Chapter Seven: "My New Best Friend"

I finally arrive at the Medical Sector, taking a moment to collect myself before stepping off the cable car. AVI4 whirrs quietly beside me, seemingly waiting for me to make the next move. I suppose I should be grateful to it for being such a big help during this entire adventure, it's like having another friend tagging along with me.

As soon as I step out of the cable car, I spot a paper hanging on the ledge of the platform I'm standing on. Curious, I walk over to it, picking it up and examining it carefully.

'Case Update Report
Case #: 6 Case Type: 2
Genome(s): Human, Givanium Update #: 6
Alias: The Devil
Summary:
Case 6's rebellious behavior remained unchanged even after the introduction to Case 7, and so alternative methods were approved by management to encourage cooperation.

One such method was the introduction of a newly-modified Givanium solution engineered to lower the functions of self-thinking in any Case's Case 2 of Type 5, which is responsible for one's brain functions.

This newly-modified Givanium solution will never be applied again, and all excess material will be locked away.

Under heavy sedation, the new solution was applied to Case's system. Shortly after, Case 6 appeared to experience excruciating stomach pain that was so aching it fell onto its knees while holding its stomach, before undergoing significant physical changes. It appears the solution was so effective at limiting self-thinking that Case 6 fell victim to the primitive instincts we are so badly trying to avoid.

Case is not ready for presentation.'

Poor Banban... I can only assume this report is about him, given the alias and such. Well, at least I have some idea of what's going on now. I just hope Banban doesn't end up trying to kill me because of his instincts whenever we meet face-to-face. I flip the paper over, seeing a kid's drawing of himself and Banban holding hands.

I let out a small chuckle and tuck the paper away in my pocket, moving on down the hallway. AVI4 chitters excitedly, practically doing flips as it follows right after me. The halls are excruciatingly silent, making the walk through them rather uncomfortable. The only thing making this just a bit better is the bright pink walls, giving the space a cheery appearance.

Finally, we reach the only room with an open door, and fuck... it's dark as hell. "Is... Is there any sort of switch on anywhere?" I question, glancing around in search of the switch. The lights flicker briefly before turning on, blinding me a little for a second. When the light fades completely, I can begin to make out more details into the room.

An operation table sits at the center of the room, and sitting on it is... a different version of Nabnab?

The intercom jingle rings in my ear yet again, and Banban's voice fills my ear once again. "When Nabnab escaped, it wasn't long before workers started to disappear." A pause. "Of course, precautions and training can only get you so far, so we had to think of a more... permanent solution." He explains simply.

I cock my head curiously to the side. "And your solution...?" I question hesitantly.

Banban pauses again. "Nabnaleena was that solution. We had a theory that Nabnab was as aggressive as he was due to his loneliness." Aw, poor thing. "We never got to prove this theory right, as the collapse happened during the surgery. But that's where you come in." He informs me. "You'll be carrying out the final steps of said surgery."

My mouth drops open in surprise. "W—Wait... Me?! Like, actually?! You want me to perform the surgery?!" I shout incredulously. Banban lets out a small chuckle. "I mean, yeah, who else? Now shut up and listen. Givanium-related procedures are very delicate, so I am going to need you to pay very close attention to these instructions." He instructs quickly.