IX

Narrator

Y/n and Haerin were just starting to get adjusted to their new routine.

Y/n would wake up and wake Haerin up, then take her to school, and then go to work. Danielle would walk Haerin back home and stay with her until Y/n got home and then she'd eat dinner with them.

This was becoming a routine, but it was a bit different on the weekends and specially now that Haerin was on winter break.

- Hanni POV -

I was just about to knock on Y/n's door, when Y/n came running out the house.

"Woaaahh!!" I got startled a bit.

"Ms. Pham, what are you doing here?" Y/n asked a bit rushed.

"I came to check up on you," I answered a bit awkwardly.

To be honest, Y/n was doing pretty well in such a short time and I no longer needed to check up on them.... but I just couldn't help myself...

"Oh, thanks but I have to go to work today," Y/n replied.

"I see. Well, I can just-"

*BUZZ, BUZZ*

An alarm on Y/n's phone started to go off.

"Gotta go! You can check on Haerin if you want. She's inside!!" Y/n yelled as they started to run to their car.

"You're not supposed to leave a minor on their own!" I yelled back.

"Her older friend will be here soon!" Y/n yelled back, before turning on their car and driving off.

In reality, there was no laws on leaving minors home alone. It was only an issue if the child was abandoned or they got seriously hurt from being unsupervised.

"Don't get too attached," I had to remind myself when I noticed the silly smile on my face.

It was hard to not get attached or emotional about certain cases I worked on, but with Y/n.... it felt a little different... It was clear that Y/n's intentions were pure. Y/n wasn't just doing it because they didn't want to get in trouble, they genuinely cared about having Haerin in their life.

I finally turned to face the door and took a deep breath. "I guess I should at least check on her," I exhaled out.

I had never checked in on Haerin by herself before. I was scared that I'd trigger her or something, and then I'd have to bother Y/n at work.

"It's alright. She's a good girl. Y/n trusts her to stay alone for a reason," I tried to reason with myself.

At the end of the day, I needed to make sure that Haerin was okay and had her needs met. Regardless of how I feel about Y/n.

- Danielle POV -

I had just finished up from chores and decided to walk over to hangout with Haerin. Because of winter break, it was a little harder to spend time with her... but I always made sure to make time with her in each of my days.

*KNOCK, KNOCK*

I was startled to find someone at Haerin's front door.

"Hi, Kang Haerin! It's Hanni Pham. Y/n said it was okay to check in on you while they're at work!" I heard the person at door yell.

The person at the door was a girl I had never seen before. She looked a bit older, but not by much. She was also dressed a bit formal, which made me wonder if it was a colleague of Y/n's.