The Great Escape

▶️ Play: Getaway Car

-Back Then-

She plops down on the passenger side seat beside him and slams the car door.

Pulling the cat mask from her face, her eyes sparkle devilishly and her sexy smile is 100% wily as their gaze meets.

"Come on! Punch it, Exile!" she commands.

"You got it, Karma!" the hooded boy says.

The code names are a perfect touch. Helps make Andrew think that he and Bett are just playing pretend.

Andrew presses the pedal to the metal, and the tagless 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix flies down the alley.

In the rear view, he sees the overweight security guard run out of the back of the bank. He is shouting into a walkie talkie.

I can't believe that it is 2003 and banks are this easy to rob, Andrew thinks.

A lurch rocks his stomach. If you asked him two months ago, he would have never thought he'd be helping his best friend successfully commit felonies.

Okay. Not sure of the success yet. Today was their first attempt.

But he knows he would do anything for Bett. She knows it too.

But he also thought he'd be getting ready for his junior year at state instead of working three dead end jobs to help pay for his mom's cancer treatments.

"Jackpot!" Bett screeches, pulling dozens of stacks of twenties from her bag.

Sirens tearing up the summer haze and lights cutting through the evening sky, a police car pulls onto the road behind them.

Shit!

He can tell that it is Jimmy O' Brien. This podunk town's newest officer.

They have history.

Bett knows too but reaches over and kisses her friend on the cheek.

"You got this. We knew this was a possibility," she reassures him.

Andrew takes turns looking at the loot on the floorboard, the officer in his rearview, and Bett sitting in the seat beside him and is unsure which of the three is going to be his downfall.

-TODAY-

The buzz behind him and the clang of the bars opening brings Andrew from his flashback to the present. Stepping out of the shadows of Allegheny State Pen, he should be excited to have his life back. Even the surprising sunshine warming his face on the crisp November afternoon can't take his mind from the dream he woke up to. Today, on his way out of prison, he can't stop thinking about what landed him there.

Fitting, I guess.