Lighten Up

"Now," Dumbledore said. "I think that, judging by your expressions, you know why I have called you here."

All three nodded.

"Harry, I was informed by your uncle earlier today that you were investigating Professor Cassidy," Dumbledore said. "You may be wondering why he didn't discuss the matter with you himself, as I did." His expression turned slightly wry. "He said that he couldn't give you a lecture about invading other people's privacy with a straight face. I think we both know why."

Harry grinned briefly, then gave Ron and Hermione 'I'll explain later' looks.

"I, on the other hand, can," Dumbledore said, tone grave. "I do not intend to lecture you, browbeat you and seek to make you ashamed. I would, in fact, like you to explain why you felt the need to delve into the private life of another, a teacher, in fact, without asking their permission."

"Well," Harry said, slowly. "Last year, Professor Lockhart tried to wipe my and Ron's memories. All of our memories, to be exact. The year before, Professor Quirrell tried to kill me." He gave Dumbledore a helpless look. "Can you blame me for half expecting one of my teachers attacking me, especially when they turn up at random in the middle fo the year?" He half shrugged. "I'll admit I was curious, too, but mostly... cautious."

For the first time that Harry could remember, Dumbledore looked taken aback.

"Professor?"

"I must admit," Dumbledore said. "I had not expected such..." He cocked his head thoughtfully, a wry smile on his lips. "I am not certain whether to call it maturity or paranoia."

"My uncle is the Norse Trickster God and I live with the Black Widow," Harry said flatly. "I also live with Tony, who's pretty bloody paranoid, Clint, who's a SHIELD Agent and Bruce, who's spent most of a decade on the run from the US Army. Even dad's pretty cautious. All the Avengers are. The only one who isn't is Steve." He shrugged. "You could say that I learned from the best."

"Oh, Captain Rogers is more cautious than you might think," Dumbledore said. "He certainly was when I knew him. Of course," he add. "Special Operations will do that to a person."

All three looked surprise.

"Oh yes," Dumbledore said. "There is far more to Steve than meets the eye. He is, after all, a Super Soldier, with all that entails. Caution was part of it." He paused. "Though he had nothing on Agent Carter. But she had reasons for that. Reasons, that, I think would shock him. Maybe less so since the revelation of Mister Barton's identity, but I digress."

His gaze suddenly flickered over Harry's shoulders to look at something behind him.

"Under the circumstances, lad, I can't blame ye for being a little suspicious."

The trio whirled, to see Professor Cassidy standing behind them. He grinned at their obvious surprise. And they weren't the only ones. Even Freki and Geri looked a little shocked.

"I can dampen sound in a small area around me. It's one of me party tricks," he said.

"Professor, I'm sorry that -" Harry began, a sense of crushing shame consuming him.

"It's nothing," Cassidy said calmly. "Like I said, I can understand ye being suspicious. And curious." He half smiled. "I was the same at your age." He walked over and leaned against the wall. "But like I said earlier. Not everyone's going to be as understanding as me. You need to start learning to tread carefully."

Harry nodded, contrite.

"And the both of you," Cassidy said, looking at Ron and Hermione. "Are going to have to help him with that. To be the eyes watching his back." His eyes drifted back to Harry, who squirmed slightly in their uncomfortably knowing gaze. "Because I get the feeling that you're the sort of boy who lives and breathes adventure. The one who takes a lantern into the dark places, trying to make them a little brighter. The one who never knows when he's in over his head."