Missing Piece

Later that evening, Y/N came downstairs. She had unpacked her things, then took a nap. She even got a chance to get some writing in. It was around 5:30 though, and she was getting hungry. Cate never told them to meet for a family dinner or anything. So, she was going to check and see what everyone was getting up to.

   She heard some music coming from the kitchen and laughter. Rockin Around The Christmas Tree by Brenda Lee was playing. She smiled. She always liked that one. It was the number one song this Christmas too, she liked that. Good for Brenda Lee. As she got closer, she heard Cates voice. She was singing.

   Y/N stopped in the hallway and smiled. Cate was off key but giving it her all. Y/N loved it. She was adorable. She walked into the kitchen to find Rebecca and Cate dancing. They both had aprons on and seemed to be doing some baking.

   Cate had flour all over her apron and Rebecca had some in her hair and on her cheek. She was mad at Rebecca earlier but when she saw her smiling and dancing with her mom, it all went away. It reminded her of all the times the two of them did the same thing in their apartment.

   They always cooked together. They wanted to keep the work load even, so that was their solution. If Y/N were honest, it was her favorite part of the day. Coming home to Rebecca, her best friend and cooking dinner with her. She made the most mundane things fun. Now, she saw who she got that from as Cate grabbed the whisk and started singing into it.

   As soon as Rebecca saw Y/N standing in the doorway, she ran over and grabbed her hand, pulling her in. She grabbed an apron out of the drawer and put it on
Y/N. Y/N just laughed as Cate serenaded her with the whisk as a microphone.

   This was the kind of life she had always dreamed of having. Her house was always quiet and serious. It was more important to be proper than to feel enjoyment. She had a bit of that with Rebecca but only at dinner time. She wanted her house to feel like this all the time. She wanted her person to be like this. Carefree and happy.

   "Do we want Pad Thai?" Cate asked. "Yes!!!" Both Y/N and Rebecca answered. Cate got online and ordered it. Then they went back to the way they were before.
Y/N joined in, fitting in seamlessly.

   Cate and Y/N got really into Last Christmas by Wham. Cate handed her and Rebecca two beaters from the mixer, so they could use them as a microphone like she was with the whisk.

"A face on a lover with a fire in his heart"

"A man under cover, but you tore me apart"

"Oh, oh now I've found a real love"

"You'll never fool me again"

"Last Christmas I gave you my heart
But the very next day you gave it away"

"This year, to save me from tears
I'll give it to someone special"

   Rebecca hated this one, so she just scowled in the corner, making the cookies as Cate and Y/N sang their hearts out. They gave this performance their all. Cate got on her knees at one point and then did some interpretive dancing. Y/N was too busy laughing at Cate to really try her best but it was so much fun. A core memory in the making.

   The song was coming to an end and Cate was out of breath, leaning on the counter. Y/N was wiping the tears from her eyes from laughing so hard. "She..." Cate was trying to catch her breath. "She... hates that song" Cate finally got out. Rebecca nodded her head to signal it was true. "What?!? You hate that song?!?" Y/N asked, judging her.

   Rebecca just shrugged. "That's my favorite Christmas song!!" Y/N said. "THANK YOU!!" Cate said, backing her up. "FINALLY!!!" Cate said. "I've been jamming to that one alone, while this one sulked in the corner FOR YEARS" Cate said, getting progressively louder.