|09|

someone to stay by vancouver sleep clinic is definitely the song for lockwood and amelia in these flashback chapters

someone to stay by vancouver sleep clinic is definitely the song for lockwood and amelia in these flashback chapters. take that as you will. 

before

It was months after she and George had been at Portland Row, and Amelia Evans finally felt like she had a home again. Sure, the house creaked and she could still get a catch of that calming presence from the locked door that Lockwood sometimes avoided looking at, but it was home and she felt at peace for the first time in years.

Their small stove had George in front of it, bacon sizzling and snapping every few seconds as he cooked them a meal. Her and Lockwood kept peeking at one another over their tea every few minutes, pages and pages of their newest case in front of them. George had already stress cleaned the house over the case, the lone picture of the child that resided in the school building in the afterlife catching his eyes every few moments. Especially since the picture was resting on the table in front of Amelia so cautiously.

He had already raised his concerns about taking the case to Lockwood out of fear for her sanity, completely unaware that she had heard every word spill from his lips from outside the cracked library door. She couldn't be mad at him, not when she knew that he had seen how Fittes had benched her with cases concerning children in the past and knowing her own history, but she had been shocked to hear Lockwood's own words that she was stronger than they believed and could handle it.

The slightly older teen had given her many pauses in the few months they had been there, almost four at that point, and she couldn't help but feel a fondness for him that she had never felt for anyone else before. Sure, she loved George, would jump off a cliff if it kept him safe, but Lockwood and her growing fondness for him unnerved her. She had felt that sense of care for Kipps before, the man caring about her and making her strong, but the fondness for Lockwood was new and different and terrifying.

"Harriet Jones said that the old building is supposed to be a new wing for their school, but they can't restore the property until the grounds keeper and the child are removed." Lockwood commented offhandedly, removing the paper from his hands and swapping the crinkling material for his cup of steaming tea. He took a quick sip, meeting her eyes once again, and quickly looking down at the picture that she had kept in front of her from the moment that she had seen it. "Nasty business with the groundskeeper, the town had found his trophies behind a wall, including the stuffed animals that came from the children."

A muscle in her jaw twitched at the mention of stuffed animals and children being taken away from this world by adults that they were supposed to trust. The whole case brought her a sense of responsibility to Henry, one that she didn't know if she could complete. She needed to though, not only for her brother but because Lockwood believed that she could do this.