The Bay Road and the Teal River Converge Upon Pink and Azure Plains Part 2

Start from the beginning

Mihira thought about this. She would want to meet the Dog, since they were supposed to be her partner. She also liked Hua-san, so maybe they could both be her partners? She would have to consult Kaori on this. Kaori was an expert on relationships. She was dating three boys at the same time; surely she could help Mihira with this dilemma.

"The Dog? She's supposed to be my partner," Mihira answered.

"Oh." The air was still. "I don't know anything about my partner or the Western zodiac, but I would like to meet the Snake."

Mihira was surprised. She thought Hua-san would pick a cool or beautiful animal, like the Tiger, the Rabbit, or the Horse. "Can I ask why?"

"Well, the Snake is sometimes called the little Dragon in Chinese culture, so I thought that we would get along. My lǎolao always said the Snake was associated with intelligence and cunning, which is what we need to solve the origin of the Calamities." Her voice sounded more determined. "Although we both need to find the locations of our Keys quickly. If they are the solution to breaking the stranglehold of the Calamities, then we have to find them and our partners."

Mihira nodded. She wanted to meet more people. Maybe she could befriend them, and she could invite them into the Seventh House. That required her Key though, so that should take priority. Also, the wind had told her to go find it. She laid down on Hua-san's azure scales, her wings outstretched and draping over the scaled body.

"Hua-san? Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure."

"When's your birthday? I told you that mine was the twenty-eighth of September, but you never told me yours."

Hua-san's head turned forward. "Another day."

"Alright." She was left to wonder in silence.

Mihira peeked below the clouds. Rolling plains full of short grass stretched out before her. The land was sparse, with little to no water in sight. There wasn't much wildlife either, not from her vantage point. The sky was a clear blue, and some of her feathers were scattered in the light breeze. Below, there wasn't much else—except there was a horse.

Mihira stared at it before taking off her glasses and wiping her eyes. The horse was galloping across the plains, leaving a trail of dust behind it. Mihira wondered if it was wild or a runaway domestic horse. There was something bright on its back, too indistinct to see. What if it was hurting the horse?

Kaori should have been here, and Hina, and Kaede...she missed them. If Kaori was here, she would have demanded Mihira to pet the horse and save the horse from danger. Mostly the petting part. Since Kaori wasn't here, she should save and pet the horse for Kaori's sake.

"Hua-san, there's a horse down there!" Mihira pointed out the dark smudge charging across the field. "There's something on its back! Can I take it off?"

Hua-san peeked down. The red crystal near her moved closer. "It's a horse in the middle of nowhere. I doubt it's a domesticated horse. A wild horse can easily harm you, even with your gifts, so that would be a no."

"Please? I know how to take care of myself! And I'll be careful! I know how to take care of myself around a horse!" That was a lie, but Kaori would tell her to lie for any reason.

"I sincerely think—"

Mihira stared at Hua-san with her sad eyes. The blue-green crystal nudged Hua-san's snout. "My friends would have done the same thing." Kaori always told her to use her eyes whenever she wanted something from other people. She felt bad using it on Hua-san.