𝓢𝓱𝓮 𝓛𝓲𝓴𝓮𝓼 𝓗𝓲𝓶 (𝓒𝓱𝓹𝓽. 8)

Jessica's POV:

A few months passed by. Nothing huge is happening at Jester High. It's always like this, though. Nothing big ever really happens in our school. No one fights. No one steals. Nothing. The biggest reprimands come from sneaking into fields past curfew to practice. 

I shouldn't have started off like that. The biggest thing happening these days is the start of the track season. I'm so excited. As Captain of the track team, I should be feeling no other way about the start of our season. It's our time to compete and win.

I smiled to myself thinking about running. I was walking through the halls trying to be as helpful as possible to anyone in the free time that I happened to have today and then I stopped. It had dawned on me that I was back in the same hallway where I met Kashima. My lungs stopped operating for a second just for me to release a heavy sigh. I wish we could relive that moment. Maybe I would treat it a little differently. I probably would ask to be close to him. 

"I wonder how he's doing," I whispered to myself.

"Are you worrying about me, Jessica?" Kan appeared behind me. 

I squealed and he laughed. 

"Relax. I wouldn't harm a fly," he said. 

I laughed awkwardly. I was remembering all of those times he killed so many innocent insects: beetles, ants, roley polies, caterpillars, snails. Of course, he wouldn't harm a fly. That was only because he couldn't though. 

"What are you doing out here, anyway?" Kan tilted his head to the side. 

I looked at him. He was wearing his white long-sleeved button-down and some jeans, and his shoulder-length hair was tied up in a bun. He must have just come from painting.

"I was looking for people who probably would need some help navigating around this place," I replied. 

"You. Always trying to help someone. I don't know how you do it."

"I don't know how you can sit still and paint for hours," I retorted, shoving his chest lightly with my palm.

"It's relaxing!"

"Running is relaxing."

"Running is a chore." 

"Wanna  go to the courtyard?" I asked.

He rolled his eyes at me. He didn't have to ask why I wanted to go to the courtyard instead of the track field. He knew I wanted to see Kashima playing basketball with the others. It was that obvious to my best friend because he has been coming with me since I started watching Kashima play.

Hen Kashims played basketball, anyone could tell that his heart was in it. I loved watching him because every sweat droplet that fell off of him as he played was proof of the work he put in to be good at the sport. Honestly, Kashima playing in his element was heart-stopping. 

I love watching him play.

I'm not the only one who knows that, though. Kan was rolling his eyes at me because he also knows that I love watching Kashima play. Regardless, he guided me all the way to the courtyard where Kashima and some other experts in basketball-type sports play a round. 

My body moved itself to the edge of the fence. Before Kan could retaliate, I was sitting in front of the fence with my legs crossed and my elbow on my knees. My chin resting in my palms. I sighed lovingly.

We watched him play for the rest of the evening. I had a water ready for him and although he had his own this time, he accepted the one I had for him with a smile. I also grabbed a purple towel and wiped his face for him. His face turned red as I wiped his face. After wiping everything off of his eyebrows, I was on my tippy toes and realized how close we were.

I laughed way back down to my heels. We stared at each other for a minute. Kan cleared his throat behind us. 

"Oh," I realized. I dusted myself off and walked back to Kan's side.

Since our dorm rooms were all right down the hall to each other, we decided to walk back together. 

Outside of his dorm door, I grabbed his hand.

"Is there anything you need, Kashima?" I asked him.

He answered me as quickly as I asked but I was distracted by the sparkle in his eyes. I think he said something along the lines of needing me to do something.

"Huh?" I asked again.

"Oh! Um! I don't need anything! Goodnight!"

Before I could correct him, his door was closed and secure in my face.