Yan Ru and Yan Ling gave Yan Qian a look of disgust before summarizing what had happened. One narrated while the other filled in any parts that were left out. The account was rather thorough.

As they spoke, everyone's expressions changed. The old madam's expression was especially ugly.

"Yan Qian was naturally wrong, but Yan Yan shouldn't have hit her in front of everyone. Wouldn't this be confirming everyone's suspicions?" After a moment of silence, the old madam spoke up.

The crisp sound of a teacup being placed on the table rang out. Shen Yi Yao's expression looked both angry yet not. "Then mom's meaning is that Yan Qian was right to slander Ah Yan, and that my Ah Yan deserved it?"

The old madam stopped herself and then stammered: "That's not what I meant. What I mean is that it's better to deal with it back at the estate. Why make a fuss in front of everyone? Especially since our dirty laundry shouldn't be aired out in public. What matter can't be dealt with back at the estate, and needed to be argued in public? What about our Weiyuan Marquis Estate's reputation?"

Speaking up to here, the old madam became more and more dissatisfied and her tone became harsher.
What made the old madam embarrassed was the estate's reputation but also because this matter involved the Pei household's miss.

"Then mom's meaning is that this bucket of feces should be dunked on Ah Yan's head? You don't look into the source of this matter and blame the victim instead?" Shen Yi Yao's tone was rather indignant.

The old madam grew even angrier at seeing this usually obedient daughter-in-law talking back to her.

In her mind, Yan Yan was precisely as Yan Qian said, a little devil. She wasn't sticking up for Yan Qian, but rather felt that Yan Yan was to blame in the first place. Yan Yan's unreasonable nature was to blame for the estate's loss of reputation.

Shen Yi Yao was angered into laughter. She stood up. "Fine, fine. I wasn't planning on letting mom mediate in this matter anyway. The reason I spoke so much was to highlight something. My power is limited, and I cannot manage anyone else in this estate. I will ask everyone to please refrain from placing undue expectations on me. You should all sweep the snow off your own doorsteps!"

The old madam didn't expect Shen Yi Yao to behave this way and her face turned dark from anger. "Old second daughter-in-law. What do you mean by this?"

Shen Yi Yao was unusually firm. "Nothing much. I just don't want something like this to happen again in the future. Since I'm so hated, why should I bother being a good person!?"

Seeing Shen Yi Yao's determination, even Xue-shi couldn't help but panic. She hurriedly started persuading her.

Shen Yi Yao's eyes were teary but her attitude was firm: "Eldest sis-in-law. The eldest miss and fourth miss are good people. Just based on the fact that they spoke up for Ah Yan today, I will not neglect them. I am clear who treats me well and who doesn't. Those who treat me well will naturally be repaid many times over. Those who don't can carry on, but they shouldn't take me for a fool!"

These words resounded throughout the hall. The old madam's chest rose and fell rapidly and Chen-shi's expression was also extremely ugly.

"Since the second miss is a concubine born daughter of the second branch, it's my responsibility to discipline her as the principal mother. Servants, confine the second miss in her own residence. Until she is married off, no one is allowed to visit her."

When these words fell, some servants carried Yan Qian out.

Shen Yi Yao didn't remain either and walked towards the door.