XXVIII. WITH FRIENDS LIKE THESE

Start from the beginning

Vita grinned. "Oh, trust me, we can do both. Besides, it's much too easy to mess with you when you zone out like that."

Antares couldn't help but feel a sense of gratitude for his friends. They were his anchor, who accepted him for who he was, moods and all. Over the years, Vita and Adrian had become accustomed to Antares' occasional moments of distraction. This wasn't the first time they pulled him back to the present like this. Both Vita and Adrian have had front-row seats to the many times when he experienced visions, even if they didn't realize it. They attributed it to his introspective nature, often teasing him about his tendency to "zone out" at the most random times.

Rolling his eyes, he turned to give his empty glass to a wandering house elf when a flash of black attire caught his eye. His eyebrows raised as he saw Severus Snape making his way through the crowd. The potions master's stood out even in the luxurious setting of Malfoy Manor.

Antares excused himself from Vita and Adrian, making his way toward Snape. He managed to catch up with him near one of the ornate pillars that adorned the edges of the grand hall. On the way, he snagged two fresh glasses, the tops still freshly bubbling.

"Severus," Antares greeted with a nod, "I have to say, the holiday season suits you." He handed one of the glasses to him. Snape held it, making no move to drink from it.

"Kelly," the Potion's Master acknowledged in his low, measured voice. "I could say the same to you. I see you were unable to escape the sights of Narcissa."

The younger Slytherin hummed in agreement. "I have yet to figure out her criteria for attendees, though I suspect Draco must have said something to her about my return."

Snape's dark eyes flickered with amusement. "Indeed. Who would have thought having more Slytherin influence would resonate well within certain circles."

Antares' huffed a laugh. "You mean resonate well with their interests."

"You seem unsurprised by it."

"You are not the first person to tell me, but that does remind me of something worth your interest," Antares replied, looking around him subtly. "This morning, I had an interview with a reporter for the Whispering Willow. They were very keen to know how Hogwarts is fairing under Ministry control."

The corner of Snape's mouth curled into a sneer. "And you saw fit to share that information with a measly tabloid? Unwise, even for you. What, I wonder, could you have told them that was worth exposing the school?"

"Only the truth," Antares assured. "Most of it was just praise for the staff and students. Although, the High Inquisitor may receive some backlash."

"What did you do?" asked Snape distrustfully.

"Before you rip my head off," Antares said placatingly, grabbing another flute of champagne. "I didn't slander her."

Snape arched an eyebrow, signalling for him to elaborate.

"I merely highlighted her unique approach to Defense Against the Dark Arts. I also may have had a few choice words about her hypocritical tendencies," Antares explained, studying Snape's reaction.

"You see no issue in broadcasting Umbridge's methods to the world? The Ministry's grip on Hogwarts is precarious as it is, and now you risk yourself and your reputation," the Potion's Master glowered.

"Is that concern I hear in your voice, Severus?"

Snape's expression remained displeased. "Concern is a luxury I cannot afford."

Before Snape could retort, the conversation was interrupted by the approach of two familiar figures. "What could two esteemed guests be so concerned about during a festivity like this?" a voice inquired, sounding amused.