ii. surprise at the order meeting

Start from the beginning

"You look like someone kicked your Padfoot," Sirius said from his side with a snort and James scowled at him.

Remus glanced over at Lily, and said, "I thought you said you were over her."

"I am."

Sirius and Remus shared a look, and Peter piped in, "Are you sure?"

He huffed out a breath and nodded. "Yes, I'm sure."

"Are you?" Sirius asked.

"Yes."

"A hundred percent?"

James paused and then shrugged. "Eighty, I guess."

"Do you think another rejection will help you with that last twenty?" asked Sirius.

Remus let out a snort. "He's not going to ask her out."

"Why not? He didn't use to have any qualms about—"

"But they're friends," argued Moony. "He's not going to risk it."

"If they're friends she'll most likely say yes," said Peter, and Sirius nodded in agreement.

"Evans is probably lonely and desperate with her old age—"

"You're older than me, you prat!" said Evans as she and Marlene came to join them, leaving Alice with her boyfriend, Frank. "What are you boys gossiping about anyway?"

"They said you're lonely, didn't you hear?" asked Marlene with an amused smirk, as she walked up to Sirius and grabbed the lapels of his jacket, pulling him into a kiss that he was more than happy to reciprocate.

James rolled his eyes at his friends just as Lily let out an annoyed huff. "I'm not lonely."

"We know that," said Remus with an amused chuckle, making Lily's cheeks tinge pink. "Sirius was just talking out of his arse."

Sirius flipped Remus off, as he finally came up for air, tucking Marlene to his side. "Actually, I was wondering whether you'd agree to go out with Prongs."

James scowled at him. "I wasn't going to ask her out. We're friends."

"Wondering."

Lily was about to say something when the doors to the dining room opened. All six of them turned to it, expecting Dumbledore to walk in—he didn't.

Instead a girl he'd never seen before walked in. And even though she didn't look very tall from where she stood she entered the room with such a sense of authority it was as if she was looking down at everyone.

Her dark hair the color of charcoal fell down her back in soft waves, her skin was tanned and her eyes dark. He couldn't deny she was stunning, dressed in a short denim skirt paired with leather boots that got to her knees, and a small muggle band top, a leather jacket draped on her arm.

"I have the same shirt," muttered Sirius from beside him as she walked through the room, ignoring the stares, towards where his parents were sitting.

"It's in my house, actually," replied Marlene.

"Oh. Well, good, it looks much better on you."

James didn't listen to the rest of what they were saying as he watched confused when the girl smiled at his parents, genuinely, and spoke to them in rushed murmurs. His mother nodded at the girl, waving her off, and patted her hand, as his father let out a laugh. "What the fuck is happening?" he whispered to his friends, all of whom shrugged.

Just then the door to the dining room opened again and in walked Dumbledore. He nodded at the girl, and she sat down next to James' mother as the Headmaster went to stand at the head of the table.