10. the undying past of unending sorrow

ETERNAL SUMMER
⸻ 終わりのない悲しみの消えない過去

ETERNAL SUMMER⸻ 終わりのない悲しみの消えない過去

( 2012 )

     Satoru does not like keeping secrets from Sayuri, but sometimes he must. He knows what he does drives a stake through her ever-fragile heart, that he tears the soft tapestry of her skin and delicately sinks his teeth into her grieving wounds. It's a necessity, he tells himself, it's the only way she can heal from the tumultuous waves of guilt she drowns herself in. Day after day and night after night, she sets herself on fire in pagan rituals of wanton agony and he feels his soul perishes every time she does.

It is undeniable that his love for her streaks through the shattered stars, knowing there is no other woman on this earth who could hold his heart like she can. Ever since the day they met, he has always carried the thought of her wherever he went, and he can't bring himself to look at any other woman the same he does for her. They are connected by something far more divine than the threads of fate, even crueller than the hands of destiny. Yes, this curse ( as much as it is a blessing ) stretches through every echo of time and interval of space. Inescapable and undeniably inevitable, pulling them together by the subatomic attraction of their polarised souls.

But behind the incandescent smiles she bestows on him, there is a void of grief within her carmine eyes. Sometimes he feels like grabbing her by the shoulders, begging her to tell him how he can rid her of the ghosts that haunt her still ( Is this not enough, Sayuri? Am I not enough? ). He knows them well, has heard their baleful whispers in his own ears. They swirl like tendrils of smoke and fumes in those sanguine irises, misty gaze ever clinging to the gloaming past.

When she's with the Fushiguro children, he sees the war blazing within her and he admires her for it. She has always been formidable though she can never see it for herself. How her strength comes from her gentle hands and her heart that bleeds rivers of compassion. They are good for her, he believes, she will learn to forgive herself for them one day. Even if she looks at him with anguish smeared across her face every time, he has to clench his teeth and ball his fists with unshakeable resolve. The bonds that bind them all are hopelessly tangled and potent, influencing their every step like the celestial wheel of life.