09. the taste of death lingers on my tongue

ETERNAL SUMMER
⸻   死の味が舌に残る

ETERNAL SUMMER⸻   死の味が舌に残る

( 2012 )

     Sayuri misses the warmth of Southeast Asia, where the sky is filled with endless summer and midnight stars. As the sun seeps into their veins and she tastes the moonlight on his lips. With sand clinging to the bottoms of their feet and hair tangling in the salt-stained winds. In the quiet waking moments of the night, he recites his vows to her once more with devotion in his tender gaze. As his hands absolve the regrets ingrained in her heart, soothing the grief she wears as proof of her love.

Off the coast of the Sunda Isles, amidst the clear blue waters of the Indian Ocean, she sees a glimpse of eternal paradise as the world stops breathing when he says her name and she looks at him with longing before he kisses her. Tangled within each other's arms underneath the swaying palm trees, the echo of the forgotten past resonates in a language of heartache and war. Orchestral and divine, clinging to the pulse of a promise made within a thousand faded memories.

She remembers Riko asking her about love, what it feels like and how it starts. Like the vast ocean and its deep trenches, where every word and caress is like a gentle raindrop that feeds the waves as they lick the shore. Overflowing and boundless, where one can only drift upon the foam or drown beneath the swell.

Loving Satoru is honest and easy, like drawing breath into her lungs, like the blush of dusk on the horizon. She forgets every worry and pain, losing herself to his ardent touch and whispers. For those brief two weeks of their honeymoon vacation, she allows herself to pretend that the chasm in her chest does not exist. That they've never parted since the moment they've met and the taste of despair has never once touched their tongues.

Her dreams have always been azure blue, the sound of cicadas filling the silence of the empty sky. The scent of the lingering rain in the late afternoons and the sticky nights where stardust slips between her fingertips. Lilacs drenched in the sun, strawberries and whipped cream. The shimmering heat waves and the tinkling wind-chimes in the breeze. A moment captured in worn polaroid, paint spattered against a canvas. Skin bathed in light, muscles rippling like the ebbing tide between the sun and moon. The feverish utterances of I love you and I will never leave you.