01. summer sweet and blue

ETERNAL SUMMER
⸻   夏は甘くて青い 

ETERNAL SUMMER⸻   夏は甘くて青い 

( 2005 )

     Gojo Satoru is born blessed, lotus seeds falling from his lips as he takes seven steps north under heaven's canopy. There is a void inside him that births constellations, dark matter coalescing into celestial bodies. A primordial singularity. It must be fate or divine intervention that leads her to him. With hands bearing fruits of the dead and inviting arms ushering oblivion.

If his eyes could perceive the future, he would have known then the moment his life ended and began. Of how the fates are cruel and destiny is a sword that plunges itself into the depths of his soul. That the stars have written a requiem for the heart he lost within the solstice of his life, the footsteps he needs to walk to find himself back where it all began.

It had been a hot summer day, the sound of cicadas buzzing in his ears. He remembers the blistering heat, the shimmering sun rays. The vacant sky staring back at him in the reflection of his languid gaze. Satoru falls onto the sofa of the common area and closes his eyes against the sultry air as he sucks on a strawberry-flavoured ice pop. He longs for the beach and cooling waves, the taste of seafoam and bleeding sunsets. The humming of the electric fan fills his head with static but he can hear the call of gulls in his ears.

Footsteps break him out of his reveries, brilliant blue eyes opening to peer through the polarised screen of his shades. He sees a girl his age cross the threshold of the dorm with a duffle bag, gaze catching his figure with a tilt of her head. She has an alluring face that would make any goddess writhe in envy, and midnight hair interwoven with locks of snow. Rapture and woe follow in her footsteps, unsung songs and forgotten myths trail in her shadow. Her eyes of crimson-stained death catch his attention; even amongst sorcerers, that's a rare trait to have.

They stare at one another for a moment before she smiles politely in greeting. Her voice is liquid silver and chiming bells, soft and mysterious. "Hello, sorry to disturb you."